*HP ProBook 4430s & 4530s Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by xvvvz, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamoke60

Jamoke60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [I hope I'm following proper 'thread starting protocol' here.
    I posted the following question to HP Tech Support, HP notebook forum and Windows forum: no help whatsoever, no attempt at an answer.
    I am no expert, but I think the answer to this is probably staring me in the face. The knowledge base here is mind blowing to me, maybe someone can help me with this, thanks!]

I have a new HP ProBook 4530s laptop running Windows Prof 64 bit.

This laptop is only 4 months old, but the hard drive is failing, according to constant notifications, and repeated BIOS hard drive diagnostic tests.

I wanted to be sure that all back-up/system restore precautions were taken. Not much to 'back-up' because the laptop is new. The standard 'back-up' was easily done on a 4 GB flash drive.

I followed instructions for 'create a system image' in order to make a 'copy of the drives required to restore your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working' (instructions right on the page).

I wanted to create this 'system image' on an external flash drive. First attempt at storing a system image failed because: 'the drive is not formatted with NTSF. The G flash drive was easily formatted to NTSF. Repeated attempts at copying now failed because: 'the drive is not a valid back-up location' (!?).

I see absolutely no clear reason why a 'computer image' cannot be created on a flash drive that has been correctly formatted.

HP Tech Support claims that the reason for this is a 'Windows incompatibility with the program' (used to create a 'system image?).

No solution was given. According to HP Tech Support, this is now a 'Windows software problem', which doesn't make any sense to me.

Standard CD-R data disks (the only ones I have on hand now) are not big enough: 700 MB capacity, but a DVD-R data disk, which has 4.7 GB capacity, may not be enough (especially in the future) for the creation of a 'system image'.

Can anyone tell me what the deal here is please? Thanks!

2. VA1

VA1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Hmm. How old is the USB drive? I'm pretty sure you should be using an external hard-drive and maybe that's why windows just detects it as a USB.
    And for tech support, I would never call HP unless it was for sure a hardware problem....all manufacturers like to refer to Microsoft for problems...

But that said, I would try an external hard-drive (doesn't even need to be that big) and give her a shot.....worked well for me.

Hope that helped and post back!

3. daitern

daitern Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just some info to add ... don't use 2.5 inch Hdd which use two usb ports...I encountered some problems with them seems windows 7 has writing issues in it self. Just go with a 1 usb drive its better (powered from socket outlet)

4. daitern

daitern Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are absolutly right VA1 ... I was cloning the screen so either a 3rd party programm or just go with projector mode. The 2nd option was my choice...I only had to do the little x 2 walk from room to room before I setled on my couch enjoying some movies !!

5. Jamoke60

Reputations:
    Can you tell me what the 'difference' is between memory storage on a USB flash drive (I bought a new 32 GB stick just for this purpose) and an external hard drive (other than expense)?
    I'm just trying to complete this one recommended procedure; I don't have massive files that need to be stored elsewhere. 320 GB of memory is more than enough for me.

6. VA1

VA1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I did some quick research and apparently you cannot supposedly create a system image on a flash drive. (Where should I save my backup?)

Of course the are plenty of 3rd party software that could do it on a USB, but personally I would return the 32gb USB and buy a small (say 320gb) external hard-drive. You can buy a 320gb-500gb HDD for pretty much the same as a 32gb USB.

Difference between USB flash drive and HDD is that a USB flash stick is solid state meaning it has no moving parts. Speeds are much faster compared to an HDD and they are less prone to failure (usually last longer) but are much more expensive. HDD's are cheaper and have many moving parts in comparison but generally offer much more space.

That being said, I would suggest getting a HDD to create that image.

7. VA1

VA1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Haha glad that worked! How are you connecting to the tv? WiDi, hmdi?

8. Jamoke60

Reputations:
    VA1: Thanks very much, that nails the question definitively for me, and for the Windows link.
    I must have spent a few hours checking one page after the other on Windows help, concerning recovery, system image, etc, but didn't come across this page.

9. VA1

VA1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ya no problem, that's what this site is for after all :) Let us know!

10. usmanyo

usmanyo Newbie

Reputations:
    no dude didnt work for me! now the im thinking about reflashing the BIOS...maybe that would fix the problem...has your sleep problem been fixed after HP changed your motherboard?