HP ProBook 430 G3 HD TN Panel to FHD IPS Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by mrgizmo, Jun 3, 2017.

1. mrgizmo

mrgizmo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello forum.

I swear I tried to search forums and google, but wasn't able to find proper answer :)

Was someone able to upgrade this little machine with some decent screen?
    I've done my homework and what I know so far, is that they use 13.3" diagonal HD1 antiglare LED-backlit (1366 x 768) panels (touch and non-touch), which has 30 pin eDP 1.2 (1 lane) connector, but exact model of panel isn't listed anywhere, so is eDP cable part number.
    I also know, that to be able to use FHD (1920x1080) panel, eDP cable going from motherboard to panel, should be 2 lane eDP.

What I don't know is:
    1. If panel uses 1 lane connector, does it automatically mean, that cable is also 1 lane, or it could be 2 lane and we need to just swap out panel?
    2. If we need to swap eDP 1.2 (1 lane) cable, with eDP 1.2 (2 lane), is there any standardization? I mean, will it even fit our motherboard?
    3. Will any 2 lane eDP 30 pin cable work, or there is something I'm missing?

2. MoZamboni

MoZamboni Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, were you able to figure this out? I have the same question for the same model. I didn't find anything either.

3. mrgizmo

mrgizmo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nope, I just gave up.
    Seems it's unpossible

4. _pk

_pk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nop, it might be 2 lane. My both previous and current laptops (Lenovo L440 14.1" HD -> FHD and Dell E5570 15,6" HD -> FHD) had 2 lane cable from factory (best screen you could buy L440 with was 1600x900, e5570 FHD, so my guess is they used same cables across all display models for less hassle). But you may be unlucky, like this guy here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ooks/Lenovo-U430p-screen-upgrade/td-p/2155302
    If there's nobody reporting it'll work, then it's a gamble (for L440 I found reports of stock cable working, E5570 I just took the risk).

As for the rest, I dunno, I just got lucky so I didn't need to research.