HP Pavilion vs Lenovo G505

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by julia1990, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julia1990

julia1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, on the shop for a new laptop for mild gaming, websurfing, videos. Tight budget around 600 and I have two contenders here to pick from. I am in Canada so my options it seems are limited.

HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop - Black (AMD A10-5745M / 750GB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : RMSUnassigned - Best Buy Canada

Lenovo G505 15.6" Laptop - Black (AMD A8-5550M / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : Laptops - Best Buy Canada

I know they are only 550 but I have to add about 70 dollars worth of taxes to that.... What I am mainly worried about is the build quality of these, and proper ventilation. Im probably hesitating because I feel the Lenovo will be sturdier. If any of you could help me pick which computer would serve me better, it would be much appreciated. That being said, Im opened to suggestions as well. THanks a million.

2. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Instead of the G505, you should get the Flex 14, which is only 10$ more. For 10$, you get:
    - Touchscreen
    - Convertible mode
    - Haswell
    - Thinner and lighter
    - Better build quality
    - Better looks

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/flex/flex-14/

The downside is only 4 gigs of RAM, but i doubt you would need more than 4GB if you are buying a budget laptop.

3. julia1990

julia1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    THanks Jobine, unfortunately, its for 30 more, long delivery time, and no optical drive. Not to mention the RAM downgrade.
    Also, I was aiming for a dedicated graphic card.

4. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. julia1990

julia1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

Somewhere around 550 Canadian dollars. 600 actually including taxes.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

14 to 15.6 inches

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Canada, Qc,

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Ideally. Asus or Lenovo, I've had good feedbacks from friends and family and seem reliable. I am considering Toshiba as well. A friend of mine has had one of these tanks for years no formatting ever and is doing fine.

Neutral towards Dell. Mine served me well, but they don't seen as good anymore.

Unfounded prejudice about Acer and Hp when it comes to their lastability and toughness, but Im only asking to be proven wrong.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes, from a reliable site.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Mainly internet browsing, movie watching, light video editing, office work. I do play very occasionnaly and casually. Some League of Legends, FIFA, D3, SC2. Medium settings are fine.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

It would be my only computer, so mainly home, but Im going to move in around in Uni as well.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

4+ hours would be good, but not that important.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is ok. I try to read reviews and opinions about build and toughness,

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7, but I guess most come with 8 now. I'll deal with it.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

Not too sure about that, the default settings always suit me well.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Not really a criteria either, maybe leaning towards matte.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not really.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Asap unless awesome deal can buy my patience.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

Years, like my previous one. I know it can be a bit of a gamble but reliability, durability are important criterias. Buildwise and also hardwarewise.

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

I have an external hard drive, I don't care about the space or SSD. And with my budget I can

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

DVD burner ideally.

6. Rodgersneighbourhood

Rodgersneighbourhood Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you ever pick between these two? I'm torn between these two for my brother for Christmas, he'll be going to University. I know I bought a very very similar Pavillion 2 and a half years ago from BestBuy. Exact same price point and size, and its specs were pretty much on par to this one compared to the competition at its time. The battery is almost fried, but I've really put some heavy usage on it and it's still going strong. Performs pretty good too.

But I'm with you, historically Lenovo has a way better track record aha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.