HP Pavilion or EVOO?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ronbo613, Jul 18, 2021.

1. ronbo613

ronbo613 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm guessing buying stuff from WalMart is a touchy subject around here, but I live in a small town in a rural area without many computer buying options. I'm sick of returning stuff to Amazon, I want to take it back to the store here in Boonieville.
    I already have a Clevo i7 laptop that I do my photo and video editing on, I need something that can handle basic photo editing, maybe some 1080p editing if the computer can handle it so I can leave the Clevo i7 for the heavy video editing work. Able to play some video games would be nice.
    I have two options: HP Pavilion i5 GTX1650 8G RAM 256G NVMe or EVOO Gaming i5 GTX1650 8G RAM 256G SSD. I think the Pavilion has an empty SSD bay, I've got a couple ready to go. I saw on the internet that the computer does not come with the wire or the brackets to mount an SSD, these parts must be purchased separately, if available at all. Can't get pre sale info from HP, chat not working, phone robot has no clue. Don't know much about EVOO except it's made by Tongfang. For less than $600, I expect just about zero customer service, so for either computer, I can return it to the local Walmart.
    Any info, opinions or insight is welcome.
    Thanks

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've used the AMD version of that EVOO laptop. It's all plastic and barebones in terms of features, but it has the essentials, and if you're looking for a cheap gaming laptop, it's fairly priced.

The HP is in similar straits. It has a better keyboard layout, that's for sure. I don't think you will see much difference between either machine.

I assume you'll be upgrading the memory, as 8GB is not going to be fun for much.

Charles

3. ronbo613

ronbo613 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HP probably has a little better support as far as drivers and such. If I knew I could install an SSD in the Pavilion without additional cost, I'd probably walk into Walmart and buy it. If the computer works, I can spring for more RAM or even an NVMe drive. Pretty sad expectations for customer service are basically returning it to a brick and mortar store.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I had a Pavilion that needed repair before, HP paid shipping both ways and I had the machine back inside a week.

I would check eBay for the brackets.

Charles

Rokobo likes this.
  5. ronbo613

ronbo613 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The extra drive cable for Pavilion is ~$30. If I buy the computer, maybe HP will send me one. With the sophistication level of these electronics, I would attach the SSD with double sided foam tape. 256G is not much space for a computer you need to work with. All my files are on external drives, but an extra terabyte of SSD storage is essential for work in progress and video downloaded from cameras.

The Pavilion has components with recognizable brand names. The EVOO has some parts, like the WiFi card that may not be as good. Information is scarce, but I think the EVOO has 2x4G RAM and an SSD, a drive, with two empty NVMe slots. Would probably have to get an NVMe system drive.

Leaning towards the Pavilion and the $30 cable.

6. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know why there'd be a stigma surrounding Walmart given that the current darling the Legion 5 Pro is being bought in droves from there as it's the best equipped version for $500 less than from Lenovo directly. I've purchased the HP in question and found it to be great other than the panel which skews colors cooler than what a calibrated, P3 or Adobe rated screen would. What I mean by this is that reds skew purple and purple skews blue. If that doesn't bother you it's a great machine, I personally didn't care for it and bought a far more expensive device to get a P-3 color gamut rated panel.

7. ronbo613

ronbo613 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Living in a rural area, the local Walmart, which is actually quite small, is the biggest store for several counties in two states. It's a touchy subject in small town America, but we have bigger problems. Being able to return the computer to the store is a big advantage, returning stuff to Amazon is a pain. I've returned a lot of merchandise to Amazon, I try not to shop there.
    Not going to get a top quality display on a $600 laptop. I'll have to try and adjust the display the best I can and live with it. Most of my media winds up on the internet, a little less demanding than photo to print. As a life long photographer, I'm never really satisfied anyway.

8. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    $30 shouldn't keep you from making a better decision on hardware that's making your life better.

I have the same issue with Amazon but, not returns being a big hassle. In fact they sent me a dirty e-mal saying they've noticed a number of refunds because I use them as a "rental" doorstep service for projects / experiments. I bought a bunch of stuff to test some stuff like swapping my car HDD to mSATA for NAV / music performance, tested a bunch of drive enclosures, got some tools for working on my car upping the HP to about 500, a couple of different sound bars, and the list goes on. They don't like losing their cut on a decent amount of purchases or the shipping both ways but, I'm playing by their rules and making use of Prime in my own little way.

If you're looking for a good NVME I picked up a 1TB PNY CS3030 on Amazon for $130 that performs pretty well and even better than my original selection (BPX Pro 1TB). The CS3030 hits 1.5GB/s internal copy speeds vs the BPX ~1GB/s.

9. ronbo613

ronbo613 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just like to get the lowest price possible. Comes from running a business for many years. As far as Amazon goes, the quality of products, especially from third party vendors, has really gone down. It's like ebay. Some of the sellers are 100% bogus. Amazon always seems to have the lowest prices, but after you return half the stuff you buy, you're wasting a lot of time.
    Buy the computer at Walmart, take a few days to make sure it's not going to blow up. If there's any problem, back to the store it goes.

10. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use all tactics to save $ money on my tech addiction including Amazon, Ebay, and other options. I've taken gambles on sites I don't know of and had success other than aliexpress which is just a hassle.

If you pin down the specs you're looking for and then hunt down the best price it's usually not an issue. I've fund things on ebay i couldn't find on Amazon like a recent antenna purchase, LED board for my car floor boards, and some other unique items. Amazon is good for 100% refunds when returning things that usually doc you for 15%+ like PC's / TV's / Sound bar's.

I picked up a 4-port 5gbps PCI card from some unknown site for ~$200 when competing devices were ~$350. Niche things tend to be a roll of the dice when it comes to where you can actually purchase them from. My car fog light grilles were an Amazon venture that ended up the seller didn't have them in stock and cancelled the order / refunded. I ordered a GPS puck from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for my scanner but they sent the USB version instead of the Serial version because some tard put the wrong barcode on the bottom. other than a couple of incidents Amazon does a good job 99% of the time. Recently though I've found FB marketplace to be a good way to save $. I picked up a scanner / radar detector on there and saved at least $300 that way allowing for bonus items for each like car mounts / stealth wiring.

A little effort / ingenuity goes a long way in saving on pricier purchases.