HP Pavilion Gaming 15 2018 edition

Discussion in 'HP' started by IKAS V, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Uachaic

Uachaic Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes it has optimus

2. ctludlow

ctludlow Newbie

Reputations:
    Great news on having optimus. How is fan noise and heat? Maybe during normal use and again while gaming?

3. Uachaic

Uachaic Newbie

Reputations:
    I generally use it with a laptop stand for ergonomics and while its elevated, I didn't notice the heat very much, especially after undervolting the CPU.

On a table under intensive load it can get hot above the speaker area and on the bottom, it got up to 80 degrees celcius for the GPU and 85 on the CPU. At idle they would be around 49-53 degrees.

The fans are about average for this kind of laptop I would say, not super loud but definitely noticable while playing games. While browsing the web, they are somewhat loud if you have performance mode on, otherwise they are very quiet.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. ctludlow

ctludlow Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. Nearly every review I've seen on the 8750H has recommended an undervolt for heat, so sounds like I will be doing that. Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

5. Aurizen

Aurizen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I want to get this laptop but I want to know how good is it? I wanna get the 4k screen and dual drives how does it run and how are the drivers and heat managment?

6. ritholtz

ritholtz Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any thread for HP Blizzard gaming laptop. Got one for store. Would like to get some feedback on heating up issues with dedicated GPU and quad core processors.

7. ctludlow

ctludlow Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered one with the 4k screen, it is supposed to arrive Thursday .I'll let you know

8. Aurizen

Aurizen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wonderful!! Do you know the ppi for the 4k screen? I also want to know about the audio. I hope its better than my HP dv6t 7000

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  9. SemiSalmon

SemiSalmon Newbie

Reputations:
    Any feedback on this laptop? I'm curious to know what the poeple that bought it think of it. Is the screen good quality?

10. ctludlow

ctludlow Newbie

Reputations:
    My 4k version of this laptop came in, and I am more than pleased and pleasantly surprised with it. The over all form factor of the laptop is much smaller than I anticipated. The 4k screen is fantastic in my opinion. My son just bought the brand new 2018 macbook pro 15" and I did some side by side pictures of a 4k Youtube video. The videos aren't perfectly synced so the exact frames in the pictures aren't the identical frames, but you get the idea. Very impressive for such an inexpensive device.
    I have not loaded any games yet so can't speak to that.
    Screen has a lot of flex too it. More than any other I've seen, but the device feels great on my lap. Excellent viewing angles. I have the 5400 rpm hard drive with the 16gb optane chip and it's pretty good. Much better than any hybrid drive I have used in the past. I have a 1TB Samsung EVO Nvme I am dropping into it this weekend.

4k screen comparisons to 2018 Macbook Pro 15"
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/92dbJ2NQUZ1APsd36

heretofore likes this.