HP Pavilion dm1z Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rixhobbies

rixhobbies Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a quick update I thought I'd share.

I spoke to HP today and was told that there are no more delays and that orders due to be shipped 1/21 and prior should be receiving a FedEX shipping e-mail by tomorrow morning (Sunday 1/23).

So, for whatever that's worth...

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm very intrigued by zacate's performance, but honestly the lack of USB 3.0 on this model makes me have to pass on it. I really like the temperatures though. Perhaps AMD has finally turned things around. :cool:

3. StormEffect

StormEffect Lazer. *pew pew*

Reputations:
    Does anyone wonder if maybe the problem with no USB 3.0 on these chipsets involve the increased power requirements of USB 3.0? I seem to recall reading that a USB 3.0 port needs to be able to output 50%-80% more power at max compared to a USB 2.0 port.

4. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    USB3.0 probably cost a lot more to implement, since it has more parallel channels and link power management and what not. More complexity is more cost. And not everyone cares about the extra bandwidth, to make it part of the purchase decision.

5. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, the problem is that Intel has not put usb 3 in its chip sets yet and probably won't until 2012. The models that do include it are from a third party (NEC) and other vendors. It cost more to put those ports in. Intel, by the way, has their own technology that would replace USB 3, or so they would like (light peak). I think COST, on a budget system like the dm1 is likely why its not included.

At any rate, USB 3 is more efficient anyway since it only polls the device when its being used. So if your not using that port, it actually takes less power then usb 2. I don't see any reason why the dm1 would not have it except that it would drive up the costs to lets say 470 dollars instead of 449. And this model's price point is a huge draw for many.

6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyone get there DM1 yet?

7. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are in the mail

8. jdrodrig_9312

jdrodrig_9312 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am a bit confused, how does AMD Fusion, compares to Intel Second Generation Core (Sandy Bridge)? are they conceptually the same in the sense of integrating the GPU inside the same silicon as the CPU?

I am asking, because I am considering whether to buy a laptop like this one (or the very near Thinkpad X120e) or to wait for the basic Sandy Bridge (say, Core i3-2310M) chip.

9. mr_raider

mr_raider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Conceptually the same, but very different in terms of performance and market segment.

The current line of AMD Fusion CPUs are designed to compete with Atom based netbooks. The current Intel CULV, whether core 2 duo, or i3 based will mop the floor with Fusion in terms of CPU performance, but GPU would be weaker than AMD.

10. mr_raider

mr_raider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know if the HDD and RAM slots on the dm1z are user accessible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.