HP Omen X Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you put foam dams? Maybe they are too thick. Try without them.
    Also ensure PROPER and FULL contact between heatsink and die before even trying to install LM.

BTW There's a new BIOS on HP's support site.

2. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you guys for the feedback, keep it coming if you have them :)

3. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some positive things:

The 144hz panel is awesome Mine had absolutely zero light bleed, which is a first on a laptop for me. It also has amazing viewing angles Like I literally haven't noticed any ips glow amazing, when viewed close up. The matte coating is also a shiny semi-gloss and combines the best of a low reflection matte coating with that of a glossy one that is sharp and makes colors pop. There are two makers of 144hz panels, lg and auo. The lg panel, which is on the razer blade 15 and some clevos, is more matte and dingy looking. Whereas the omen x and msi gs65 use the much clearer auo semi-gloss panel.

Keyboard is great. Backlight is awful though None of the keys are evenly lit and the secondary functions are not lit. I leave it off even in a dim setting so I can actually see the keys better...

The gtx 1080 is so overkill on some games that have capped framerates I couldn't even tell the fans were on it uses so little of it.

Speakers still stuck.

Gpu never goes beyond 75c. The 7700hq can hit a good 90c. No throttling though This is playing games at 4k on an external monitor. I can also somehow undervolt it to -160mV stably but haven't tested the temps yet in games. It stays under 70c in prime95. Gonna try even higher undervolt. My last best on a laptop was 140mV.

edit likes this.
  4. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for the feedback!
    Unfortunately I can only get the 120Hz IPS screen so I don't know how it will look giving the lag it has... and it's a matter of luck with the amount of light bleed you get.
    The CPU is 7820HK so it might get toasty.... maybe I can under volt enough to stay cool...
    Still I don't know if I should get it or not...

5. isko

isko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello gamers :)

At last I have made my choice and order Omen X 7820HK cpu and 1080 gpu. :)

So what is your first thing what I need to do? Yes I know I need to make under volt but im noob and how to do under volt CPU and GPU? Will this decrease FPS?

And, how is the best way to update my drivers? Is there someone HP application who will update my drivers or I need to go site by site to search them and download it.

All the best :)

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

6. KosstAmojan

KosstAmojan Newbie

Reputations:
    Don't update your wireless driver!

So mine with similar specs came in yesterday, with the 144hz screen and 16gb of ram. And yeah, right out of the box I couldn't complete the Windows set up process. It would tell me it needed to connect to the internet to get some updates to finish then simply reset looping back to the beginning. It kept freezing when I attempted windows repair so I called HP support even though I knew what I had to do. They said the same so I changed the bios to boot from a usb and inserted the ol' boot drive...fresh install. So first thing I installed was the HP support Assistant to update all my drivers then Nvidia GeForce Exp. to update the video driver. Everything was going great until I got to the wireless lan driver which was god awful, kept disconnecting. Researched it and yeah, plenty of other people are having problems with it. Reverted to an older driver and it works somewhat less sucky but its slow and still randomly disconnects. Just got a cheap wireless dongle until I can figure this out.

Other then ALL of that, at least I got a fresh install with no bloatware! And physically it runs great. Just typing this is awesome. The screen is amazing and the first game I played, CS:GO, was basically stuck at 144 fps. CoD: WWII hovered around 100fps on ultra although I assume changing reflections to merely high will jump that significantly.

Two problems, of course I had to download the HP command app and the overclocking screen on it just isn't there, every other function is there but not that. I'm not worried about it as I wouldn't use that program to do it but it's interesting. Second, while I loved the metal case I hate that it's so smooth around the trackpad. When you're gaming for a while your hands might get a bit moist and it really shows, it should have been a more matt finish.

7. Challenger2019

Challenger2019 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to overcome the power limit throttle? I have a successful overclock to 4.3ghz. There is no thermal throttling; however, I see the 4.3ghz drop to 3.7ghz randomly. I tried with every other speed aswell same result down locks to 3.7ghz. Intel xtu says it's a "power limit throttle." I've turned on high performance in windows settings, removed energy star and messed around with the maximum wattage increasing up to 90w, but still a power limit throttle. Not a big deal but it's annoying because I'm OCD lol!

hmscott likes this.
  8. NTsoulS

NTsoulS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone found the igpu switch in the bios that is mentioned in the notebookcheck review?

9. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It doesn't exist. Maybe they were mistaken or it was some old beta firmware.

10. Thorbjørn

Thorbjørn Newbie

Reputations:
    In the notebookcheck review they wrote:
    "As a quick note, the integrated graphics chip is disabled due to the G-Sync display. This can be re-enabled via the BIOS, but this setting disables the GTX 1080."

So maybe the switch in the BIOS is called something with G-Sync?
    This feature is really important to me to maximise battery life and minimize fan noise while in school. This is the only thing stopping me from buying the Omen X laptop 17.