HP Omen X Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. faxfan2002

faxfan2002 Newbie

Reputations:
    Liquid metal paste applied. Fan speed current not exceeding 2200rpm, quiet as mouse :)

Riktar and Shark00n like this.
  2. scarletfever

scarletfever Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fan noise is my biggest hesitation to buying this laptop. Is this a big problem overall or should reapplying thermal paste fix the issue?

3. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fan noise is not a complaint, at least for me. I see and work with many 15 inchers that are much, much noisier and don't pack half the performance.

Undervolting is a must though. Keeps temps and fan speed under control.

I had liquid-metal on mine a while ago. The temp drop wasn't that big compared to kryonaut but it makes it even less noisy so that's another way to go in order to further decrease noise development.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. Challenger2019

Challenger2019 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just a quick few questions. I see you used Kapton tape, last time I did liquid metal I used super 33+. Is there any reason why you decided to pick Kapton over that? Also, with your foam dam, what did you use to secure the foam to the tape? I see in one tutorial it said transparent nail polish? Just thought that was an odd choice. Last time I did something like this I used Loctite Ultra Gel Control, but that being said I wasn't using it to secure a foam dam. Last question, did you use whatever choice of glue all the way around on the foam dam or just on the corners? Thanks for the help, I have my laptop coming in on Tuesday, just want to make sure that I have everything set up properly for when it arrives!

5. Challenger2019

Challenger2019 Newbie

Reputations:
    Also, did you use anything under the kapton tape to insulate the cpu, or just the tape? lol, sorry I'm ocd

6. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I started using kapton tape because I couldn’t get that super 33+ tape around where I live.
    Kapton is very temperature stable and non conductive. Works great in my experience.

I just cover everything around the GPU and CPU with kapton, cut foam to a good size and thickness and apply LM.
    The foam is held by the pressure of the heatsink alone. As it’s pretty... foamy it just adjusted into place and is held securely.

The foam doesn’t do much tough... proper LM pasting is what makes it safe.
    Use a very small amount, spread it on die and heatsink until you get a mirror finish, make sure contact is great and there’s no spillage when you tighten the heatsink an it should remain in place.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys.
    I have read the thread and I have some questions, hope you can help me.

1. are the fans annoying and do they have a high pitch sound while gaming (not overclocked) . Some reviewers say the fans have a high pitch noise, some say they tend to whistle but others do not mention anything about the high pitch noise. Are the fans it loud (or very loud) only when you play a game maxed out in therms of graphics? If you turn down the details in games a bit does it get a lot more silent or you have to turn it all the way down to get it to be silent?
    2. are the speakers that bad, i mean they don't have any kind of bass? do they sound decent enough to watch a movie, do voices sound good (full) and not tiny ?
    3. I know that you can undervolt the CPU but can the GPU be undervolted as well - I am curious because I hope it will lower the temps so the fans don't get loud.

Thank you !

8. Toltec_

Toltec_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there!

1. The fans kick in at a certain temperature. I believe somwhere around 70 celcious or higher, but I may need to double check that to be sure. They're noticible / loud but not overwhelming. I didn't notice any high pitch noise or whistling, only faster / louder fan work. I'm kinda used to the loud work of my desktop's cooling system though, so it's not THAT MUCH noticeable to me (also compared to some other laptops). The fans are loud though.

2. The speakers aren't bad, they're just medicore and definitely not as good as advertised. The sound is flat. I didn't play with any equalizer or internal settings so perhaps someone else can refer to that. I noticed that they're placed under the laptop, which is actually quite cool considering dust and other particles.

3. Yes, undervolting + any other additional cooling helps a lot. After undervolting and placing the maching on a cooling stand I typically get stress temperatures around 65 (up to 70) on the CPU and GPU rarely exceeds 60, which I think is acceptable. On idle the fans are barely noticable, but it may be due to the fact that I disabled turbo boost. I've heard that the amount of undervolting you can do is unit dependant. I didn't do any repasting.

edit likes this.
  9. Challenger2019

Challenger2019 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I got my laptop repasted with liquid metal. Temps are good, but it seems like my temps are jumping. If I'm ideling it could be at 36C and jump to 61C and then back down to 36C in a matter of seconds., but the temperatures don't see to stay steady. If I'm under heavy load none of the temps on cores will go over 84C at 43x multiplier and all the cores stay pretty much the same temperatures. In you experience, does your liquid metal system do the same thing with the temperatures? GPU stays very steady with temperatures no jumping at all.

I would think that I didn't put enough paste on it; however, if none of the cores are going over 84C and all the cores are staying the same temperature would that be the case? I just find it odd the temps are jumping all over the place.

10. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Biggest disappointment are the speakers. If you play the omen x mobiletechreview video on YouTube, her voice literally distorts at a low-medium volume and makes this annoying high pitched chirp. Her mic is pretty poor to begin with but it's night and day playing it on another system with real speakers. It's like cheap tablet speakers.

Also underestimated how unwieldy it would be. I thought I could move it around the room and maybe watch something in bed, but its hard to hold because of the highly tapered sides and since the bottom is so much heavier than the top, you can't use the top for any leverage especially with that delicate looking hinge. Power brick was also a pain to move even only a few feet. The very thick cables are too short, the plug doesn't go in at a right angle and the cable covers up my desk, and the few cm length of cable right behind the plug that will most likely receive the most stress from bending seems far weaker than the rest of the length.

edit likes this.