HP Omen X Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would maybe check out the aorus x7 dt v8

Otherwise, quite happy with the Omen.

144hz is the screen to have, 120hz is a bit too blurry

isko likes this.
  2. isko

isko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptop is fantastic but it is 1000 usd more expensive then Omen X :)

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

3. Toltec_

Toltec_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Not sure which one is best and not sure if there's one ideal laptop. I never owned a Clevo but I read a fair share of negative comments about them. That said, I also read a fair share of negative comments about HP and other brands. So sometimes it just boils down to the model you receive.

My Omen X has pretty bad backlight bleeding near the lower left corner of the screen (but that dosen't bother me). I guess that's also the case with other brands, unless you buy a laptop with LED backlit (my old Samsung had it and that display was ideal at this point).

Bleeding aside, I'm very happy with the laptop so far. The 120mhz display is great (at least for my needs) and the fact that the laptop packs the gtx 1080 was one of the reasons I bought it. I was considering to buy a different laptop (featuring a Clevo casing and the gtx 1070) but I think I made a better choice and a better deal overall. I got mine from a certified HP renew program (silver) at an attractive price.

The first thing I did when I got it, aside from running some tests to check the hardware, was undervolting both the GPU and CPU as the temperatures (especially CPU) can get high under stress. That combined with a colling stand done the trick for me.

Can't say a bad word about its build quality; its rigid and solid, but it's also very heavy and quite big. Combined with its power suply, it's more of a replacement for a desktop PC rather than a handy travel machine.

Shark00n, hmscott and isko like this.
  4. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there a way to control or turn off the fans? I heard the control center has no fan options.

5. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No.
    The only control you have is in the BIOS, there's a "FAN ALWAYS ON" option that can be turned off.
    Still, the fans are pretty much on all the time.

BTW There's a new BIOS update available, anyone tried it? I can't seem to find a change log.

*EDIT - Found it. The only notes are about CPU microcode update to improve software compatibility. Nothing major it seems.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Toltec_ likes this.
  6. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really pissing me off. July 4 sale at hp but still no 8th gen cpu. The old omen 17 has 8th gen and the newer 15 has 8th gen for cheap so I know it's not anymore expensive. Every custom laptop seller under the sun also has the older omen 17 with 8th gen to customize so it's not a stock issue. I might cave in on an alienware even though I think they are hideous...

Edit: okay i caved and got the omen. There was a 20% coupon that dropped the gtx1080 and 144hz config to $1784 and $1930 with tax. Hopefully the 10% cashback referral isn't declined. Considering the budget gl702vi is around the same price and everything else with a 1080 is at least $500 more I'm surprised there isn't more interest. All the newer 1070 laptops are $1800-$2000 even.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  7. faxfan2002

faxfan2002 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Just joined to get into the discussion. I have a HP Omen X with a i770HQ, GTX1060 and 17" 120Hz Gsync screen. Within the household have a couple of MSI gaming laptops as well as my main rig.

Got the Omen because nothing touched it for the price but by god it's very very loud certainly compared to the MSI's. Temps are fine - less than 70c but that's with the fan ramped all the way upto 3500rpm.

My first couple of steps were to undervolt and repaste - these have knocked about 10c of the temps and the fan sits around 2800rpm but still ramps up under very heavy gaming load.

I've just ordered and the liquid metal (thermal grizzly) to see I can knock another 10c or so of the temps. Has anyone confirmed doing this? I saw an early post but couldn't see any confirmation of it.

8. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Good point, I really ought to check whether my Omen 17 has that battery health option in recent BIOS, its nearly always plugged in in use and that may severely reduce degredation...

9. Challenger2019

Challenger2019 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you know what size thermal pads you needed and how many? Thanks!!!

10. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used a variety of 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5mm pads from arctic cooling. Just removed the stock pads, matched the thickness and laid on top of the arctic pads to cut to exact size.
    Some of the stock pads are already pretty good, and some of them are way, way thicker than normal so just leave those alone. Just focus on the GPU VRAM and chokes.

The stock pad job is pretty decent on the Omen X. I've seen much worse. So I wouldn't bother with it unless your only problem is CPU and GPU temps....