HP Omen X Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck has put up their review. I don't know what they were smoking but "remains cool under pressure" does not describe the Throttling CPU temps I was seeing in their charts. 99C for Witcher 3. Desperately needs repasting and new thermal pads if you ask me.

On the upside; best keyboard and best battery life by far of any DTR Gaming laptop I have seen. 2 Hrs under load, 5.5 Wifi is crazy for its weight class

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-X-17-7820HK-GTX-1080-120-Hz-FHD-Laptop-Review.280650.0.html

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The unlocked 7820hk Who can’t be oc’d is boiling in the chassis with wimpy 25w Cpu Package Power in a Gpu stress test. Furmark is bad for graphics but not for processors. Notebookcheck’s reviewers gave it a score of 87%. This must be a typo. I can’t see an another reason.

ThatOldGuy and Vasudev like this.
  3. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any news on this unit? Any more owners wanting to share their experiences?

It looks mean! But the heatsink looks tiny, very tiny

4. Shark00n

Reputations:
    oooooooh!
    Just found out. It has a vapour chamber for CPU and GPU, plus the two M.2 SSDs are also connected to the main heatsink for heat dissipation.
    Looks like a pretty nifty system considering the size and that it shares heatpipes...

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    HP Omen X 17 Review - Overclockable & GTX 1080 with a Unique Design

Shark00n and Vasudev like this.
  6. Shark00n

Reputations:
    Got my hands on one.
    Keyboard is amazing really, pretty cool gaming experience.

The cooling system is heavy and substantial. Repasted with Kryonaut but temps aren't great. CPU goes to 85-88C while the GPU stays under 73C while gaming for a couple hours. No throttling though.

It has a pretty big vapour chamber and two sets of copper fins for each chip, also has great VRM coverage and even cools the SSDs. The fans just don't spin up that much so the thing remains quite quiet under load, but the temps aren't better because of that I think.
    I think LM would work wonders on it.

I'm wondering about something. This thing has an "Omen Control Center" where you can change the multiplier and voltage (only increase) for the CPU, I think it uses intel XTU as a backbone for the process.
    When undervolting with Throttlestop do I have to be careful about anything? Won't the control center change anything back?

Thanks

Torinosuke and Vasudev like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's great HP is making an effort again at marketing gaming laptops :)

I've used a number of HP's over the years for personal and work use and never had a problem with one. They run fine and reliably, and any time I've needed support - new batteries after a few years - HP has everything in stock and ready to go.

It may not be the flamingest gaming laptop, but it sounds like it gets the job done.

When the HP gaming models hit the Costco / Sam's discount closeout sales, they could be a good cheap buy. :)

tweake628 and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't use Omen Control center. Put xtu service in services.msc to manaul and then launch TS to undervolt. Xtu and TS can cause conflicts.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Shark00n, Torinosuke and hmscott like this.
  9. Torinosuke

Torinosuke Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm so glad I came across this post, there's so little information about this laptop from actual owners.

I'm interested in ordering this laptop today, but with the i7-7700hq and gtx 1070. Do you guys think this computer would be reliable for long term use (5+ years)?

I'm primarily a console gamer, but I do own fallout 4 on PC, as well as a few light games. I want this laptop for mainly writing, drawing, and soon college work.

My current laptop is a 10 year old hp dv7t that's become pretty buggy lately. I don't plan on pushing the X to its limits, but I absolutely love the screen size, style and keyboard.

Do you guys think the omen X can last several years without any major problems? Thanks! :)

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyway 7700HQ is locked down cpu, If you can repaste or mod anything, the PC could last 5 yr+. Omen X looks like MSI beasts.
    @Papusan I never seen a disclaimer like this: upload_2018-3-14_15-34-40.png

Torinosuke likes this.