HP Omen X Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    XTU's monitoring tool can also do that, it runs from the systray and if you have enough monitoring items selected to display in their graph's it will use enough CPU to kick in the fans.

I usually exit the XTU systray app after rebooting unless I am going to use it. I could disable it but often enough I do use it so I let it start up at each boot - I don't reboot very often either. :)

2. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My fans are always on, are they supposed to turn off? I've been using the logitech g900 mouse and it's nice, has mechanic buttons, super fast polling rate, ridiculous dpi, etc but I really liked the mx master 2, unfortunately the original only went up to 2000dpi. Hiw us the S variant? did you try gaming with it? I would love to ditch the dongle! This and the g933 dongles always scare me when moving it.

3. keerf

keerf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got a question for the owners of this laptop.

I just got one recently, and repasted with Kryonaut. Temps are ok, not wonderful, but I think the best I can do.

I have noticed though, and it seems to be after a long (overnight) sleep period. The computer will boot back up, and the keyboard lights up after a bit, but the screen stays black.

A hard reboot fixes the issues, and normal restarts seem to be fine. Admittedly this only happened once, but figured I would ask.

Thanks.

4. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah they should turn off. There's an option in the BIOS called "Fan Always On" that you should disable. Then, if you're running stock multiplier on the CPU the fans should turn off during light loads. Kinda depends on your ambient temp and the load on the PC.

I have a G900 too! It's on my desktop and I use it for gaming when I travel. It's a killer wireless mouse, really happy with it.
    The MX Master 2S is another beast. Doesn't seem that good for gaming although it does track good and there's not much acceleration, but it's heavy and generally just not that fast.

What are your temps? Have you undervolted the CPU?
    That never happened to me.
    My Omen was also behaving quite strangely when I first got it. A clean instal of W10 and drivers fixed any issues I had.

5. Riktar

Reputations:
    Quick Update - So I ended up returning my unit after my experiences with the back light bleed on the 144hz display. I just couldn't get over it haha, first world problems:rolleyes:.
    I ended up picking up a PowerSpec 1710 (clevo PA71) in the meantime from Microcenter and that was a pretty sweet unit, other the typical lackluster clevo KB there was nothing bad about it, especially for $1200 picked up from MicroCenter.... that is until I saw an Omen X 17 with a 7820HK and GTX1080, same as my old unit except with a 120hz display for $1450. I put it through the paces and everything checked out beautifully. Practically brand spanking new, no issues, ran it through a comprehensive test and then did a fresh install of windows and opened it up for a re-paste and running smoothly so far... Man I missed the KB :D

@Shark00n I think I finally see what you mean about the "motion blur" on the 120hz. It's faint but I didn't have any of this on the 144hz. I mean i don't think it's a deal breaker for me and now I know we can just swap it out for the Chi-Mei Display if it does.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What are your idle and load temperatures for the CPU and GPU?

7. Riktar

Reputations:
    I haven't checked idle but i'd guess somewhere around 50 but i'll double check tonight. Running stock clocks without any undervolting, I ran Firestrike (16,654) and occt (35 mins test) after re-paste and max temps reached 77 (hit 83 with stock paste). As far as games are concerned, I only ran FFXIV on full Ultra (not laptop ultra) temps went from a stock of 86 max /75 average to 81 max / 67 avg.
    Didn't get much time in the past couple days to tinker with the unit so i'm still in the process of configuring the unit. Finalizing the windows install then I'll tackle OC'ing with a slight undervolt like the previous unit.

Stock paste in case anyone wants to see.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    saturnotaku likes this.
  8. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lots of new drivers available in HP's support site:
    Intel Rapid Storage
    Card Reader
    Audio
    Thunderbolt
    Intel ME
    Chipset
    LAN
    Touchpad

Someone could change the thread's title to Omen X Laptop Owner's lounge or something.
    Other than that, still pretty satisfied with the laptop. Using it everyday for work (mainly After Effects and Premiere) and gaming every weekend (PUBG). Still loving the keyboard!

On another note, don't make the same mistake I did! I uninstalled ThrottleStop and installed XTU. Figured that, if XTU Services were already being run by the Omen Control Center, It'd be better to use XTU for the overclocking and undervolting.
    Temps instantly went up, and the undervolt wasn't reliable. Getting it properly uninstalled and Throttlestop running again as it should was a bit of a pain....
    Just stick with ThrottleStop

Riktar likes this.
  9. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was reverse, I had XTU since purchase and have had a large handful of purple screens, conflict between the OC section of the command center and XTU, so on. It was a nightmare lol. 2 weeks ago I uninstalled xtu and installed throttlestop, couldn"t be happier, its been super reliable!

10. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone dealing with bullsh*t Macro Editor in the Command Center? Picture one shows me with my desired Macro BEFORE saving, and what the stupid program does with it AFTER I save it. Totally useless.
    Screenshot (127).png Screenshot (128).png