HP Omen X Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Graedon

Graedon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello fellas,

New guy here. In about a week or so I will receive the new HP Omen X laptop with the current specs:

- i7 7820HK
    - GTX 1080
    - 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    - 16GB RAM
    - 120Hz Full HD GSYNC IPS

If you have any questions regarding this unit, please feel free to ask.

Now a question on my part. Regardless of the temperatures the CPU and GPU will obtain, I will most likely repaste the CPU and GPU with Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut). Are (almost) all laptops repasteable(?) with Liquid Metal or do I have to watch out for some kind of material that gives a reaction with Liquid Metal?

Thanks!

win32asmguy and Vasudev like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First repaste and repad it with TG Kryonaut or Phobya Nanogrease Extreme with Fujipoly or arctic pads. If the temps turn up worse go LM. You'll never know which heatsink they will use? Aluminium will be eaten away by LM.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I would be very interested in performance, both before and after repasting. If you want to go the Liquid Metal route and are worried about destroying the heatsink, HP sells the GTX 1080 version part (940598-001) for $59 on their partsurfer website. On my Zbook 15 G3, it has a copper plate directly touching the CPU / GPU to transfer heat to the pipes, and aluminum everywhere else. If you were to mask off around the aluminum areas carefully I think it would work. I would do the GPU with non-conductive paste only, similar to what HIDEvolution recommends.

Speaking of which, I wonder if HIDEvolution plans to offer this model repasted, similar to how they offer the Alienware models? @Donald@HIDevolution ?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    +rep added. If HID_EVOC sells their variant, it'll be awesome.
    I feel traditional paste is the way to go at first to see if there any improvements in temps before going LM.

5. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We offer Thermal Materials upgrades on all of the brands and models we sell, not just Alienware.

However we do not sell HP products.

Papusan, Mr. Fox, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  6. Graedon

Graedon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies! Of course I will be doing some benchmarking and posting the results. Also I will be doing some before and after, with the according temperatures and performance results.

Are there heatsinks made out of aluminium or are most heatsinks made out of copper? If I were to break down the HP, how do I know if I am dealing with a copper or aluminium heatsink?

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Aluminium will be light and copper based will be a lot heavier.
    Aluminium looks more silverish like back of iphone 6. Copper will be reddish brown.

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    See the service manual for complete disassembly instructions:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05808729

This review also has a section explaining components with the bottom cover off:

The heatsink will have copper heatpipes, pads (to touch the CPU / GPU cores), and fins. Everything else will be aluminum. The whole thing is painted black except on the fins and places it contacts a heat source. The best thing to do is read about the repasting process for the AW17R4 or similar then try to follow along on the Omen X as you take it apart. Take good pictures and post here if you have trouble.

hmscott, raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any updates?

10. Gilbello

Gilbello Newbie

Reputations:
    How did it go Graedon? I'm planning on buying this laptop with the exact same specs and have some questions.

Is the display good? (why or why not)
    Did you have trouble with overheating?

Anything I should take in consideration before buying it?

Thanks you.