HP Omen X laptop GTX 1080

Discussion in 'HP' started by Graedon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The G65 and the Omen are completely different machines for different audiences.

Go for the G65 if you need something really small and carriable. And are willing to put up with high temps and noise development.
    Go for the Omen X with 7 series CPU if you can find a good deal, and you want a no compromises gaming machine with a bigger screen and mech keyboard.

If you can wait, probably HP will update the Omen with 8 series CPUs.

I gotta say, if I could I would've waited for the 8th series CPUs but it didn't happen. I'm quite happy with my Omen right now, but it needed some tweaking.
    I don't reccomend the 120Hz IPS display option. If you never had experience with better screens maybe you won't notice the blur that much, but coming from a 120HZ TN panel my God it was terrible! And it's not like the colors were making up for its slowness.
    The 144Hz IPS is the better option I think.

Mechanical keyboards will also make their way into more machines, I bet.
    MSI's have them on the GT75VR, but it's not great. The GT82 has a proper mech keyboard but it's huge, has two power bricks and an outdated 60Hz screen.
    The keyboard on the Omen is really, really good. Awesome to game and type on, I love it!
    Because it's much bigger than tradicional gaming keyboards, there's also a big plus that's usually not talked about on reviews. The keyboard does not heat up!
    I can't tell you how great that is, only if you had experience with hot keyboards on other laptops.
    Heat development on the keyboard is a very hard thing to avoid, specially when you game for 2+ hours. On the Omen it's always comfortable! And now that I changed to liquid-metal it's even more so.

I have to do some more tweaks in Throttlestop, I'm also curious as to what more performance can be pushed out of the 1080 which sits comfortably under 75C while gaming. Then I'll do some benchmarks. Any particular ones you guys would like to see?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Shark00n

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if there’s any trick to pulling out keys on the Omen X’s keyboard?
    I’d like to see the mechanical switch up closer :p

From this photo
    [​IMG]
    It looks quite fragile

3. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 4 year old started mashing up the keys because of all the excitement of the rgb waves and this happened, haha [​IMG]

Luckily it just clicks back into place... But it's definitely scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shark00n likes this.
  4. Shark00n

Reputations:
    Lool

Glad it’s not broken!

Anyone know what kind of switch that is?

5. Shark00n

Reputations:
    Do your Omen X's ever shut down the fans fully?

I have the option in the BIOS for "Fan always on" disabled, repasted with liquid-metal and arctic pads, undervolted but my fans are always on, even idleing and with "Balanced" power mode... Temps are good, under 45C for CPU and GPU...

On a different note, got a Logitech MX Master 2S this week. I use it to work (mostly video editing) and it's the best work mouse I've ever used!
    Seriously, this mouse and the Omens keyboard, it's like I'm in notebook input heaven :D

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is there a control app for the fan control? You could move the start up temperature for the fans if there is one. Otherwise it may just be unalterable.

7. Shark00n

Reputations:
    Nope, no factory fan control available unfortunately.

What's the consensus on undervolting this laptop? (And, I imagine, the new Alienware machines?)
    Both have their own "Overclocking App" and both use XTU services to apply it.

Right now I have my undervolt set thru ThrottleStop, I have TS starting everytime I boot up W10 and have set XTU to Manual in services.msc.

Seems to work good but everytime I open the Omen App (it also has lighting and macro controls, besides OC) I get an "Overclocking Failed, reverting to stock settings" message so I'm wondering if TS is the best way to get it done. Maybe it has something to do with the fans never going off too?

Thinking of switching to XTU to see if it works any better

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's a trend I wish would end, even Asus does this now. They all used to have some kind of Fan profile tool, but now only MSI seems to have it in Dragon Gaming Center and MSI's Silent Option - which hasn't been updated for a while.

Something to complain to HP about. :)

I've mitigated such fan noise by setting the laptop on sound absorbing material between the desk and the laptop, and make sure there isn't any noise reflective material behind and to the side of the laptop, face the exhaust out into open space instead of surfaces that can reflect sound back at the seating position.

A nice laptop stand that has a high angle available to point the exhaust into the air above helps too, that's what I have:

Cooler Master ErgoStand III
    http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/notepal-all-notepals/ergostand-III/

Shark00n likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    You could try this:

You have to be careful, it takes some tweaking and you'll do good to find someone that's already found a working profile in the downloaded set, or set up a profile for the laptop:

SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Another one is Notebook FanControl:
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc

How to Control Laptop Fan Speed w/ NoteBook FanControl

How to Download and use a Notebook FanControl

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 12:16 PM
  10. Shark00n

Reputations:
    Thanks man but I'm not that confident in 3rd party apps for controlling laptop fans. I've read about many issues when doing that, performance going down, etc... Probably because of EC firmware conflicts...

I just stopped ThrottleStop and that was in fact what was keeping the fans ON all the time! Very weird.
    Now the CPU is at 60C, GPU at 55C and the fans remain OFF or barely spinning. Big noise difference when doing easy tasks!

Curious to see if it behaves the same with XTU. Maybe the fan behaviour is somehow connected to the CPU's multiplier value.

hmscott likes this.