HP Omen 17 review (Skylake/1070)

Discussion in 'HP' started by Mobius 1, May 23, 2017.

1. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for mine to get delivered... can't wait.

tweake628 likes this.
  2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Mobius 1. Please share how you pryed off the base cover of the HP Omen 17 to Upgrade the SSD/ HDD please. What tips/suggestions on how to open up the laptop would be much appreciated :) Please assist. I have the w200na with the GTX1070 as well. Thanks. GreatD @Mobius 1

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello GreatD

For each HP model there's a Maintenance Manual that will specifically inform you on how to open your machine.

https://support.hp.com/lamerica_nsc...000-laptop-pc/10862328/model/12458877/manuals

It's not a difficult task, but not the easiest, so get the appropriate tools as you're dealing with plastic and there might be signs that are visible if you rush.

[​IMG]

My model is the 7700HQ and I only applied the tape shown in this review. it's still loud so 'I' would consider replacing the thermal compound.

4. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What tape did you add and where?? Excuse my ignorance, not sure where you placed the tape? What Thermal compound would you recommend for the 7700HQ CPU?? Does the SSD not heat up considerably as well as it's far from the fan?

Thanks

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Removing bottom cover needs patience and care, it is literally one solid plastic piece clipped onto a HP Pavilion upper receiver.

"Tape" is only for liquid metal use, if you don't plan to disassemble the heatsink then it is not needed.

SSD (M.2 2280 form factor) is easily replaceable by removing 1 screw, it is located next to the battery.

The HDD sits inside a plastic cradle that just slots into the upper receiver, it connects to the motherboard through an interposer wire.

6. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply Mobius 1. Does the replaceable SSD M.2 2280 need drivers installed for the motherboard to pick it in device manager and show me the new drive. I have a w200na with the OS installed on the 128 GB SSD M.2 drive. Will i need drivers or not for the new SSD M.2 2280 drive?

Thank you for helping and assisting :)

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Don't know how you would clone the OS to the new drive since there's no second M.2 slot.

I suppose you can just reinstall a fresh OS and start your way from there, or get a friend that can clone your old data to the new drive.

8. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok i might plan to do that, less bloatware and that. Um do i just plug in the upgraded SSD M.2 2280 drive and turn on the laptop, install OS from USB and the OS will automatically see my new SSD and ill be able to install the OS on the SSD M.2?

NO drivers are needed for the OS to see the new SSD M.2??

Many thanks sir.

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    what ssd?

10. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A Toshiba 512GB NVMe PCI-e M.2 2280