HP Omen 17 review (Skylake/1070)

Discussion in 'HP' started by Mobius 1, May 23, 2017.

1. Jaubi

Jaubi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @Mobius 1,

Thank you very much for your review, it is really detailed.

I have the HP Omen 17-w151nr and I really like it. It is a crazy laptop for gaming. I have bought an HP omen 32 with it and it's amazing. As you said the trackpad is really cheap but I like the keyboard. I did not see any difference with the first HP omen 15T.

Otherwise I would like to know if you can share with me/us your calibration profile (Icc file). It will be very nice of you. I only found that the screen is not as good than the HP omen 32. So I'm curious to see the result once calibrate.

Thank you and have good evening.

Jaubi

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  3. tdream

tdream Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Personally speaking, the most important elements for a gaming laptop are the screen quality and noise of the fan. Both of which you've ranked excellently. So I'll probably pick it up and the price is great in comparison. Unless there is some other amazing deal out there.

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

Please don't

Bleach is cheaper in comparison!

don_svetlio likes this.
  5. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow such a shame about the drop of quality. HP has gone from all out carbon fibre Envy laptopsm spray painted with automotive grade paint to a mix of metal and plastic to straight up plastic.

Such a shame that these insides cannot be used in the older cases.

BTW OP. One of the best reviews that I have seen in quite some time! Congrats! I am more excited about your ability to review than with the laptop!

Eclipse251 likes this.
  6. sakia

sakia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bro I had a plan to buy this omen...... but I have some doubt after I saw your review...... I thought its the cheapest gaming laptop with gtx 1070.....I liked it because of having 91w battery and I don't care about its keyboard and pad........but I was worried about thermal condition..... can I game on it 6-7 hours a day?. if I need a gtx 1070 gaming laptop with good battery life then what should I buy?
    if I change the display will it enable optimus?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bit the bullet on this one, upgraded to 16Gb ram (Couldn't justify 32Gb just for gaming) and changed the HDD for a 1tb Samsung SSD. Also went with the silver tape addition. It is loud, even when behind the television, but for the price it seemed like a great deal. Sure, of course, the MSI GT62VR 6RE is really quiet (Previously owned) but the price is just silly.

Happy. Only played Lego Star Wars (TFA) for many hours without issue.

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A few weeks later... the fan noise on this thing can get annoying. If you're going to record youtube gaming sessions, with this machine, maybe consider another model.

9. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    nice review :)
    I have the omen 17 but there is a lot different then the one you reviewed .so far I love it

10. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Excalibur1814. Please can you help, I want ideas on how to open up the HP Omen 17- seeing that you have upgraded the HDD to a 2.5 inch SSD. I'm wanting to upgrade the m.2 SSD from 128GB to 512GB. I have a w200na Omen laptop. Please assist me kindly. I want to get as much ideas on how to open up the laptop to remove the base cover without damaging or scratching the surface area. Please help.