HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like you need some thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal for the CPU. Tape around the CPU die with “Kapton electrical tape” for protection. Then apply some LM to your cpu heatsink area, rub the LM on the cpu heatsink area until it is soaked in to the heatsink really good. You are Practically painting the LM in to the heatsink. Then apply a thin layer directly on your cpu die.

I would run LM on the GPU too, and follow the exact same steps as above. The lower the temps, the less power it will consume. Meaning more frequency and more boost inside of this 190TDP envelope.

You can get by on the GPU with standard Kryonaut thermal gel, as RTX series runs pretty cool already.

But, lowering your GPU temps as much as possible will only help your total power consumption and lower the entire systems heat.

You could also go for Fujipoly thermal pads on the entire laptop. This will drop overall temps even further. Replacing thermal pads is a tedious process, and higher quality thermal pads like Fujipoly are extremely dense and much harder, so they do not squish down very easily like the cheaper factory oem thermal pads. So running the precise thickness is paramount for optimal temperature!

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm a bit intimidated by the LM, I've read it's material sensitive and I assume this whole HP set is solid aluminum. Anyone notice if the contact patch is copper (like my old MSI)? I have plenty of pad leftover from my last repaste project, lemme lookup on Amazon which thickness was needed for the MSI GT.
    I'll probably just try with MX4 first to see if that does the job. I'm more interested in having the thing perform the way it's supposed to out of the box without screaming, rather than squeezing 110W continuous out of the CPU. (Someone actually managed that according to the XTU benches).

3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The cpu area is probably copper being a high end laptop. LM is the way to go! You’ll be fine.

4. blackfire12

blackfire12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's all copper.

The thing with LM is you REALLY can't get it on anything else besides the CPU/GPU dies and PCB. If you decide to go this route don't forget to apply some kind of acrylic conformal coating around the GPU die's resistors and capacitors. You will also want to mask it off with kapton tape. Same with CPU. This actually saved me from the pressure of the heatsink mating with the dies causing the LM to spill out from the corner and sides. There's tons of how-to guides on how to apply the stuff and I highly recommend looking those up before doing it. Also, it WILL stain and may pit the copper of the heatsink. You won't be able to get it off since the gallium is forming an alloy with the copper and it will set inside of the copper. This wont affect the heat transfer capabilities but it will turn colors from a copper orange to silver.

LM is easy enough to clean up with rubbing alcohol should you make any mistakes.

I've applied this stuff 3 times now to my laptop and I just cannot make it work. I constantly see it spiking at 100C on the CPU. I'm beginning to wonder if the heatsink isn't making good contact pressure on the CPU? TG's Kryonaut stuff seems to work really well but maybe that's because it's a thicker paste?

5. smeksime

smeksime Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to chime in and share my thoughts and experiences. I've recently acquired my Omen 17 with a 9750H and RTX 2080. I didn't manage to see my scores and temps with stock paste but I did get it repasted with LM and K5 Pro. Temps are 70 on GPU and never reaching 80 on the CPU with the 200W bios. Firestrike score is 20350 and Time Spy is 9350. Does that sound right? In addition, I noticed there's a ~15 C difference between my cores. Is that normal? Although the core temps are great (one core being ~64 and the hottest being 79) I feel there is some concern. Otherwise, great machine for ~$1350.

6. Burrick

Reputations:
    Thanks for your replies--I adjusted the screws a bit when I was messing with the SSDs last time, and after the BIOS update (supposedly security only) and most recent Windows update it seems to run a little more temperature stable, sawtoothing between 40 and 80 (this is in comfort mode, a 45W cap). I agree with the core spikes, as I have 8 backblaze threads running the activity jumps among all the cores and at any given moment one is much hotter. The general temperature reported seems to be a bit melodramatic.
    I've run in to issues with the undervolt and have given up. It's crashed a few times, one causing the 2080 to not be recognized which I salvaged with system restore. Since -0.05V caused Oculus to crash I think I may just have a lame chip. I'll give it some continued use with no undervolt to make sure it's generally stable before revisiting.
    Thanks for the LM advice, I have next week off and my try repaste #1 with what I have on hand before deciding if cryonaut is the way to go. MX4 did well enough on my 4810MQ which had the same issues of these awful temperature spikes, and the MSI GT 2014 models had a pretty weak CPU cooler.
    You nailed it on the head, for the price I knew this thing would be a project but I saved probably $2000 over what I really wanted with identical components down to the 4K panel.
    I have a whole list of other questions about this machine but maybe they belong in a new thread: Anyone have 2 nvme drives that bench properly? My write speed is halved, and I'm not sure if it's because they're hot or if they're not both running in x4 (HWinfo says they are). Anyone installing most current nVidia drivers? Windows did it for me and I think it may have contributed to the need to restore, so it's back on HP's July version.

7. smeksime

smeksime Newbie

Reputations:
    It was actually confirmed by a few people in another thread where the 441 driver caused issues when undervolting with Throttlestop. I too had the same issue where the system would crash and the GPU would be undetectable. Only way to fix it was using the HP Recovery Tool. After installing 441.87, it appears this issue has been resolved.

Burrick likes this.
  8. Burrick

Reputations:
    Thanks for that! Great tip, the performance is so good as is I've disabled Windows auto driver updates so down the road I'll just use the HP ones as they filter down, or as recommended on here.

9. blackfire12

blackfire12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I'm not sure about Firestrike but Time Spy is about 1000 too low if you're running a 200w vbios. Temps sound about right but I think you need to adjust your ratios or possible power limits. Check throttlestop to see what might be wrong or to adjust values. In Timespy you should be seeing 10k+.

If you have any questions just post or shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer back base on my own experience. Not sure about the nvme drives. This laptop seems to be EXTREMELY picky about what m.2 drives you put in it. It's like they MUST be nvme drives and not a simple M.2 2280 drive like the WD blue. I'm using the latest nvidia drivers and they seem fine.

There's actually an easier way to fix this. You don't need to use the HP recovery tool BS. In Device Manager, look for the PCIE display device and uninstall it. Then try searching for any new hardware if windows hasn't picked it back up and it will install it as a 2080. This issue isn't exclusive to the new drivers, I've had it happen a few times regardless of what I installed.

10. smeksime

smeksime Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I thought so. Will follow up and try again. As mentioned, the 441.87 WHQL drivers seemed to have made the problem go away. The previous driver was said to have been the culprit as research led me to believe. I think your issue was completely different. I couldn't even boot into OS nor Safe Mode and it forced you to reinstall.