HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe your high 800MHz VRAM overclock is sucking power from the GPU? Try 400MHz instead to see if that bumps up your score.

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I could take my rtx 2080 vram to +1500MHz on OC stable, ask @IllusiveMan that was some crazy good vram hp used. And no it made little to no difference in power draw, but made a 10-15% difference in gpu memory related tasks...

My core was utter trash only allowing an overclock of +150MHz any higher and it would crash. I didn’t win the silicon lottery this time that’s for sure :)

3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    The 180W Vbios will work perfectly. I would still highly recommend replacing the thermal paste with something better before tdp modding...

4. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I accidentally flashed while having an external monitor connected. This killed my Displayport :(

Also, the 180W bios in the thread is an .exe that says "no support on this plattform"

5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    No, DisplayPort is the only thing that doesn’t function on the modded vbios. You didn’t kill anything don’t worry.

That’s the problem, if you can source a 180w vbios rom file then flash it. Otherwise your stuck with the 190w or 200w options.

6. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Phew, I was really worried. Unfortunately then the 190W bios is not for me. I need that Displayport for my Rift S.

7. blackfire12

blackfire12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've ran fur mark for a solid 10 minutes and it's completely stable at +150/+150 for overclocks at 69C. CPU hovers around 80-85 under load, sometimes 90. Might spike to 94 but Throttlestop doesn't show any thermal throttling on either the CPU or GPU.

Just for reference.. Yes that's almost as good as a 2080 SUPER :)

2.png

**Going to revise my statement. While the kryonaut stuff is very good, and the benchmarks I've ran were great, gaming was very different. Modern Warfare pretty much caused everything to skyrocket. Not sure why that was so demanding but it definitely throttled then blue screened so it looks like LM may be the only way to get it under control.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  8. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Flashed my stock bios with a HDMI monitor connected. Dispayport was working again. Flahes the 190W. Diusplayport was dead again. Flashed the 150W bios. Displayport is still dead!!

I checked the cable and the monitor with a diffrent laptop and there it is working fine. So the connector on my Omen 17 must be broken :(

edit: I had a Thunderbolt Dock commected (HP G2) the last time
    i flashed. Its dp commections are also no longer recognized.

edit2: OK, looks like that's a driver problem. After flashing a new bios I have to do a clean uninstall with DDU and install al NVIDIA drivers again. Then both Displayports are working on the stock bios.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  9. ashknani

ashknani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does liquid metal does a permenant dmg on the gpu ? Coz I spilled just a drop and the laptop was turned on but then I cleaned it with alcohol and repasted with kryonaut is there a permenant dmg on the gpu now ? Should I sell it from now ? Coz now it works fine I dont know what to do.

10. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    If everything is working fine and you did clean up properly there should not be any permanent damage.

How did you remove the cooler? I loosened the two screws on each of the fans and the four screws on both the cpu and the gpu cooler. But the cooling unit was still stuck and did not move at all, even when applying gentle force. .