HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bro you got to take chances. I bought this omen for £3k first thing I did before even turning it on was rip of the heatsink lap it and put liquid metal on it. I know people who have flashed 190w rtx 2080 vbios onto a 90w rated max-q card :D now that takes confidence :D:D

HoangThi likes this.
  2. HoangThi

HoangThi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let try it. can you give me some info about lapping and name of liquid metal you used :rolleyes:

3. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    +100 to overclock

4. axalt

axalt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this, great work!

Is this the ailienware bios or did you dump and mod the HP one? Looks like you said g-Sync still works as well, correct?

I havent tried it yet but i was thinking about grabbing a lighter 240W power supply to travel with. Do you think it will still work and just power limit throttle sooner?

5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I just used the alienware area 51m vbios. It is exactly the same as the HP vbios, G-Sync works all output ports work aswell. With the 330w adapter the battery does start to drain after 6-7 hours of gaming. I went from 100% to 95% in that time whilst playing battlefield V, a very CPU intensive game. That is with the 200w vbios and CPU without power limits. The power supply can just about supply this beast of a laptop with the power it needs. There is NO way that a 240w adapter will cut it. The system itself utilizes 40w - 60w, including the lcd, ram, nvme drivers and even the rgb keys! Add that on with the 200w RTX 2080 and the 60-90W the CPU uses when gaming. You are already looking at 300W - 350W of power draw, something which the power brick can certainly handle with power throttling, but it just about makes it....

Basically, if you want to use a 240W PSU forget the vbios mod, you can just about get by undervolting the CPU and limiting all core clocks to 3.6GHz allowing only 30-40w max and using the default 150w rtx 2080 vbios. Even then you might stress the 240W PSU on intense loads.

Papusan likes this.
  6. axalt

axalt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I will have to play around with it and see if I can manually set CPU clocks and GPU clocks to pull 240 watts under load. The battery should cover any spikes right? What do you use to test total power consumption, software or wall plug monitor?

Ideally i could create a throttle stop and afterburner profiles for traveling and just switch to those when im using 240w. Then just switch back to a normal profiles when im home with the 330w.

7. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HP ran some ridiculous deals yesterday - got this for $1520 after cash back:

Omen Laptop - 17t
    No DVD or CD Drive
    512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
    Full-size island-style dragon red legend 1-zone lighting red backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and 26-Key Rollover
    Security Software Trial
    16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo (Gigabit file transfer speeds)
    OMEN by HP 17 Laptop PC
    Office Software Trial
    Windows 10 Home 64 ADV
    HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone fTDB
    4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion polymer
    17.3" diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    Intel® Core™ i9 9880H (2.3 GHz, up to 4.8 GHz, 16 MB cache, 8 cores)+NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 with G-SYNC® (8 GB)

Looking forward to trying this mod on the GPU. Note - you can still get this config for $100 more today.

8. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As did I. I'm going to have to use XTU or Throttlestop to tweak the CPU, I'm sure - but that 190/200W VBios looks quite tasty.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Tweak the cpu to use 3.6ghz on all cores with a -120mv undervolt. That with the 200w vbios in gaming with liquid metal on the cpu and gpu and your golden :D You’ll get the performance that WHOPS the Alienware area 51m. HP did good this time, it took them so many omen products to finally get it right!

Wanna see my MacBook Pro 19 i9 compared to this beast!

Arestavo likes this.
  10. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    I am super stoked to see such performance is possible and up to 200w vbios as I always felt vbios power was what held my 1060 back as well.

If I leave the VBIOS as stock or use one with say 180w power limits, is it possible to keep the cpu maxed as long as UV is applied?

I am trying to balance my approach here so I dont restrict that CPU either, I want the best balanced approach where Im getting the CPU full performance and then as much out of the graphics card as possible within thermal limits given the stock thermal material.

Went as far as I could without replacing thermal material on my last omen in software, looking to do the same this time around!

I would upgrade the paste to something better but with the bare dies I prefer seeing what can be done with stock first as its lower risk haha

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019 at 6:29 AM