HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe they did. I havent seen it go past 65*c for anything ever. The CPU on the other hand is higher. I did the most updated SDK from HP for Omen Command Center. Now its 90-95*c average while on performance. On Default with max fans its 80-85*c. I do plan on repasting with Thermal Grizzly and replace the thermal pads if any with Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 pads. Whats a good game to really test? Control?

Also since the last update to Warzone I can only go +140/700 OC on GPU and not worry about a game crash.

2. axalt

axalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that the latest bios for 17t 2019 (17t-cb000) F.32 still allows undervolting?

3. axalt

Reputations:
    hmm, i wonder if they separated the heatpipes. That's a pretty big difference between CPU and GPU.
    Rockstar games always give me the highest temps. RDR2, GTAV maxed out.
    you could also just launch a cpu stress test and multiple GPU benchmarks at the same time. AIDA64 + Haven + Valley is how i test my overclock.

4. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    2020 Omen opened up.jpg

5. axalt

Reputations:
    looks the same to me. You must just have better contact or a better paste job on your GPU.
    What do your temps look like if you set max fan? I never use the default fan profile because it never reaches max, comfort gives you the same 35w TDP limit but lets the fans ramp up to maximum.

6. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    I use default and max always when gaming now. If not the fan profile is too weak. Performance allows for 97*c and I prefer to keep them around 80*c for CPU. GPU doesn't change much at all. Yea the GPU has to be good but the CPU is ****. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Minus 8 pads are in the mail. Not sure if I needed the pads but I guess I'll find out.

7. axalt

Reputations:
    Do you have throttlestop configured? Set an alarm profile to bump your clocks down at 90C. You can also tweak your TDP limits so that it cant reach that high. I have mine set to 55W on short and long but thats with liquid metal.

Also, when you repaste, clamp down your CPU all the way before doing your GPU.

OneSickOmen17t likes this.
  8. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    I was using TPL at 45/55 but I stopped messing around with it for now. Went back to stock which is 90/107 on default and performance. The Omen Command Center with the newest SDK pack really drops it basically 10*c unless it's Rocket League that will eventually get to 90-95*c no matter what on default @250fps.

Appreciate the tip. However I thought the screws were numbered. For removal you go 8,7,6, etc right?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  9. axalt

Reputations:
    yeah they're numbered, and i think the CPU is 1-4 but if its not i would still do the CPU first.

You could try something like process lasso to permanently set the CPU affinity for certain games to 4 or 6 cores instead of 8. I had to disable core 0 and 1 when playing heavy games because that core gets way hotter than the rest.

OneSickOmen17t likes this.
  10. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    From my understanding the 2080 Super and 2080 Max P are essentially the same performance. The 2080 Super has slightly more shaders but runs at lower clocks to balance it out. That may be why lower heat if he has the 2020 super model as it's not clocking as high and therefore maybe running a little more optimally on the clocks/power/heat curve.