HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd say both are about equal, the GE75 has optimus instead of g-sync so it will have longer battery life but no g-sync. The GE75 also has a 280w adapter instead of 230w so it will allow the cpu to stretch its legs more (provided it doesnt thermal throttle).

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would much rather have the MSI.
    I got the HP for a few reasons in descending order: Cost, 4K, thunderbolt.
    There's a lot good about the Omen but some very frustrating deficiencies: The awful M.2 bracket, keyboard/top cover is one unit (I bought a protector), two shared heatpipes on CPU, heatsink mismade with gap on CPU, sharp front edge, the whole thing runs hot even after getting CPU properly cooled.
    Here are the great things about the Omen: CPU isn't limited in any way, Performance Mode allows it run at 90W continuous. GPU cooling is excellent, hence this entire thread. The HP online support/driver availability is very good. The preloaded software isn't that intrusive once you get rid of the antivirus and disable all the telemetry. It's easy to run in a relatively clean-boot configuration with minimal background activity, great for gaming. The back comes off very easily to access everything.
    My last MSI was the best computer I've ever had. I don't know if their quality has held up but I haven't seen GE users with these kinds of problems.

3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Adding on to @Burrick 's post, the GE75 has an option in the bios to completely remove the cpu power limit allowing it to turbo to max turbo clock on all cores indefinitely. In addition to that the ram can also be overclocked in the bios.

Users have also flashed the 200w rtx 2080 vbios from the GT76 for extra performance with great success.

The Omen is considerably cheaper than the GE75 though.

4. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will that also update the control panel, so all the latest options are available?

5. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: