HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. blackfire12

blackfire12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's a total sleeper for sure. I can hit 10550 in Time Spy and pulled this off after OCing the video card a bit more: 5b997cde454e498bae8aa9aaecd43b39.jpg

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a question for those who've done the pads--which thickness did you use? And any difficulty getting the HP pads stuck to the plate off? They seem thicker than my MSI, I've still got a lot of 0.5 mm leftover from my old laptop.
    My repaste with MX4 worked OK but I can't get more than a -0.1V undervolt out of it and temperatures are still bad. I'm wondering if the stock pad is too thick, resulting in poor contact.

3. axalt

axalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All the pads are 1.0mm except for two strips on each far side of the GPU. Those are 1.5 mm

They come off pretty easy but the whole heatsink assembly can be a little stubborn the first time you remove it.

Dont use pads to try and block off liquid metal around the dies, they dont compress enough and you wont get contact. learned that the hard way.

4. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally success with the CPU temps, just a very careful repaste with MX4 and it will run at 90W and 80C, stock pads. Doesn't need the clock cap to keep temps down while gaming.
    So now that that's under control, I'm ready to try this but I'm wondering: Do any of these mods keep the display port working? I'm not sure I want to have just the HDMI, since I have both a montior and Rift. I'm not too happy about a USB-C display port adapter.
    Thanks!

5. KTOS_INNY

KTOS_INNY Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,
    What are fan noise after this mod?
    I am in the market for a new 2080 gaming pc, was interested in Omen mainly because of it's relative quiet fans (50db) and reasonable price.

Does this increase the nosie noticeably without any repasting?

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You will throttle without repasting although the fan curve is so basic it will never ramp up anymore. It already maxes out when the temp gets to around 75c on the gpu.

7. KTOS_INNY

KTOS_INNY Newbie

Reputations:
    ah alright. Thanks :)

8. Thomas Haylock

Thomas Haylock Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys thanks so much for providing this!
    Dumb question but how do I know if the flash worked or not?

9. Lewis Cui

Lewis Cui Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the mod you've provided. It makes my omen run better. By the way, there are ways to allow XTU to modify the frequency of memory to run above 2666, such as 3200. This will further improve the performance of this laptop which has much potential.

10. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

how???