HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is something like this possible with the RTX 2060 mobile chips?

2. Z3us_PL

Z3us_PL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does it work for Clevo RTX 2080 on mxm?

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  4. axalt

axalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally got around to putting conductonaut on the CPU and GPU and replacing the thermal pads. Temps are amazing.

180W GPU BIOS overclocked to 1920 MHZ
    4.1 GHZ on all 8 cores drawing continuous 55 watts

Been running for 30 minutes and CPU temp is at 79, GPU is at 77.

Tips: bought some cheap 6.5w/m-k thermal paste and used it on both sides of the thermal pads. I also used a bunch of it in a solid line around the CPU and GPU die to create a physical barrier for escaping liquid metal.

amihail91 likes this.
  5. axalt

Reputations:
    I doubt it. This only works because the alienware machine uses the same chip with a higher wattage in BIOS. As far as i know all 2060s are 90 watts, so there is nothing better for you to flash.

It might be possible to modify the existing BIOS with a higher wattage but im pretty sure they started encrypting them and thats way above my knowledge level.

6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    So did g-sync still work after flashing the gpu? Not gonna lie after specing one of these out on the hp website this seems like a sleeper machine with a lot of potential. And a good bit cheaper than the other 17” gaming laptops. And only one power brick to boot. ;)

7. axalt

Reputations:
    You talking about the OMEN? Yeah gsync works, the mini display port doesn't though. you will need to grab a thunderbolt to displayport cable on amazon.

Its a fantastic value for the money...and it just so happens to be the thinnest and lightest laptop with a maxP 2080 in it (its not thin or light though)

Whatever you do, dont get the intel optane SSD. Complete garbage. It overheats constantly and was the source of many bluescreens before i replaced it. Its not even that fast either.

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Oh I Just meant on the internal display. Over in the Area 51m forums people are talking how the newer screens will lose g-sync when you revert back to the older 200w or 190w bios. So I figured that might be the case here also.

Oh no worries I’d use conventional m.2 drives. Never saw optane drives being useful and just stick with what works.

Did they ever give the Omen 17 an update so you can max the fans out? Or is that still just for the Omen 15?

9. axalt

Reputations:
    Yeah gsync works everywhere. And yes, i would have returned this thing if you couldn't max the fans out. The auto fan curve sucks,it wont even rev up to full after reaching 80 degrees.

upload_2020-3-8_21-54-14.png

Terreos likes this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Ah excellent. Ownordisown mentioned in his review on the unit that at the time it could not max the fans out. But that was 4 months ago. So It is good to see they changed that. I’ll definitely have to keep an eye out of a deal for this because value wise this is hard to beat.