HP Omen 17 2019 RTX 2080 VBios Modding (190W)

Discussion in 'HP' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 16, 2019.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    DISCLAIMER: This mod is NOT officially supported on the HP laptop mentioned below, and YOU assume all the risk and liability by attempting this mod on your own laptop. This thread was created merely to show that this mod is possible!

Please note: IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU APPLY LIQUID METAL TO THE GPU AND CPU BEFORE TRYING THE 190W VBIOS, OTHERWISE YOUR GPU MIGHT THERMAL THROTTLE!

Stock 150W vBios is also included, scroll to the bottom for the link!

Testing

I have tested this RTX 2080 190W vBios for quite sometime now and have come to a consensus that it is suitable for daily gaming use, there are three reasons why (you can skip this and go to the bottom if you like):

330W Charger

The laptop does not use all 330w of power when gaming, actually it hovers between 250w-280w under extreme CPU + GPU loads (furmark + Prime95). So there is potentially 50w-80w left to spare for battery charging. If the battery is already charged this spare wattage can be put to good use. With a 190w vbios on the RTX GPU I'm reaching 290w-320w of use, still there is a good 20w-40w for battery charging factoring in extra load the PSU can take.

Heatsink Design

As you can all clearly see the heatsink design for this laptop's GPU is no slouch, (note I didn't say the CPU :D):

[​IMG]

All of that heatsink mass is cooling just a 150W GPU! With there being multiple thick heatpipes on the GPU side the laptop would have no problem keeping temperatures in the low 70s with a repaste. This is why there is enough leeway for us to play with. Another 40w increases temps from an original max of 69-72c to 76-79c. Please bare in mind that this is with LM applied.

Expect 6-8c higher on thermal paste!

VRM Design and layout

This was the most important factor of the whole mod! Luckily HP have actively slapped a heatpipe on all the GPU VRMs which means no burning out today (Alienware Area 51m :D):

[​IMG]

As you can see there are 8 mosfets, 2 for the vram and 6 for the vcore.

Meanwhile the Alienware Area 51M has 6 mosfets, 1 for the vram and 5 for the vcore o_O
    :

[​IMG]

Both laptops use the same mosfets: NCP- 303150

From this we can conclude that the HP has MUCH better power delivery to the RTX GPU die as it has one extra vrm for the vcore and vram as well as notably better vrm cooling as its actively cooled via a heatpipe and not some metal shroud like the alienware, this was the problem with the area 51m the vrms were not cooled thoroughly and this is gladly NOT an issue with the HP Omen.

Benchmarks

Here is a 3dmark timespy benchmark of my HP Omen with the stock 150w Vbios:

[​IMG]

Here is the same benchmark with the 190w Vbios:

[​IMG]

Here is a UserBenchMark score of the GPU at 150W +200MHz Vram +140MHz Core:

[​IMG]

Here is a UserBenchMark score of the GPU at 190W +200MHz Vram no core overclock (remember the alienware vbios has higher base clocks):

[​IMG]

In games I see roughly a 8 - 12% performance increase with the vbios mod, especially in GPU heavy games like Assassins Creed Odyssey

VBios

Here is the modified vbios: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hvwT1MOj_qkt3Pnfdby6EB8SbbmcU6no/view?usp=sharing

Included in the folder is the stock Vbios which is labelled as 'TU104.rom'

Flash via the NVflash program provided, type this command in with CMD reading from the folder directory:

nvflash64 -6 190w.rom

For the stock HP Vbios type this command:

nvflash64 -6 TU104.rom

Good luck flashing, remember to always backup your original vbios using NVflash!

Please support me and donate so I can keep doing the mods that I do best :): http://paypal.me/ZeeshanAkhlaq

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    OCTINY, triturbo and TheReciever like this.
  2. HoangThi

HoangThi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How can you mod vbios??
    I am fascinated by your work o_O

3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    You don't I just directly flashed the alienware area 51m 190w and 200w vbios and it worked. You need a special version of nvflash for it which disables hardware id checks.

The HP rom should work on your Alienware, BTW the omen can handle 200w on the RTX gpu easily (max temp at 78c - 80c on the 200w vbios :D), the CPU struggles though and needs down clocking to 3.6GHz from its 4.2GHz base to keep it from thermal throttling.

Bare in mind the Alienware laptop has a thickness of 42mm whilst the omen is 27mm thick. This is crazy performance in a thin and light. Thank god the GPU has an overkill heatsink.

4. HoangThi

Reputations:
    Can you send me 200W vbios? I just have 190W and not found 200W

5. HoangThi

Reputations:
    My laptop is clevo p751 and I am using 190W vbios of 51M

6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
  7. HoangThi

Reputations:
    I think the temp is very low in short time of 3dmark test. But in game or longtime of fullmark, the temp can kill your heatsink

8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:

I have LAPPED the heatsink and have liquid metal on it. I've been doing this since I was 17 bro. Trust me I've done some crazy TDP experiments in the past. No heatsink fails dont worry :D Just ask @IllusiveMan about my GTX 1080 TDP mods LOL (reached upto 280w on one mxm slot) on a Clevo P870KM1-G

I have never had any of my TDP modded cards fail. Maybe I'm lucky or I know what I'm doing ;)

IllusiveMan likes this.
  9. HoangThi

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Papusan and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  10. HoangThi

Reputations:
    I tried with liquid metal but very scared. So I changed to MX4 thermal paste.
    With liquid metal, my GPU can be reduced 5C. But let try later because of the temp is not high enough :p