HP Omen 15T (2019) 15-dc1000~15-dc1999, 15t-dc100 RTX20x0, GTX 1660

Discussion in 'HP' started by azproc, May 11, 2019.

1. azproc

azproc Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Making thread title general for use

Briefly:
    Same design as late 2018 Omen 15, but now featuring RTX 20x0 series and recently GTX 1660 with 9th generation i7.

Specs of my unit:
    Product number: 6CM24AV
    Intel® Core™ i7 8750H(2.2 GHz, up to 4.1 GHz, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated) - MAXQ version despite HP website not stating so
    8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
    1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
    Full-size backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and N-Key Rollover (White Legend)
    Intel® 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Gigabit Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo(MU-MIMO supported)
    15.6" diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    Windows 10 Pro 64
    HP Wide Vision HD Camera with Dual digital microphone
    4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion polymer

Note I added the WIFI / Bluetooth 5.0 unit upgrade ($20) and Windows 10 Pro ($70), and ensured I received the RGB keyboard = White Legend (free option, default is Red Keyboard only = Red Legend)
    All of the above $1484 USD + Tax at time of purchase from HP. You can probably save $90 as my 'upgrades' are not necessary to enjoy this.
    ---------------------------------

I immediately added additional identical 8GB Samsung RAM for dual-channel and an HP EX920 512GB NVME drive.
    Interestingly on full stock settings, was getting 3DMARK Fire Strike of around 14K overall and it wasn't making much sense. I also noticed some thermal throttling (in the 90s with throttling back down to ~3GHz)

An interesting thing I noticed that HP has some TDP tweaks!
    At Default or Cool settings via Omen Command Center, the TDP maxes out around 78w on the 2070MQ.

HOWEVER! At the Performance setting (with 'Omen Dynamic Power') - the 2070 manages to pull up to 92w with an average of 88w. So this is a 80W 2070MQ which can pull similar voltage to the 90w chip. See my screenshot in the Tomb Raider bench. It's not a 115w full 2070 but appreciate the boost that HP allows.

Tweaks:
    - Under-volt core to -0.145v and cache to -0.130 through Throttlestop
    - Modified maximum turbo boost frequency cap to 3.6GHz (36 multiplier) via Throttlestop. Sustained 3.7GHz was either not 100% stable thermally or power-throttling
    - AIDA64 CPU stress rock solid at the above settings with max temperature 86-88 Celsius. No throttling at 3.6GHz
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider in-game benchmark average of 86fps Ultra/maximum settings (68-144 range) with RTX DLSS on
    - Please see the benchmark images for details

GPU Overclocking
    - Stock GPU with CPU under-volt above achieved mid 15,000 in Fire Strike and 17,840 Graphics Score
    - I tried Overclocking GPU via MSI AB with Core +155 and Memory +60 (did not push too much here)
    - This achieved >16,000 overall score in Fire Strike and 18,992 GPU Score in Fire Strike!

------
    Pros:
    - Solid build quality as per late 2018 Omen 15
    - 2070MQ 80W chip that can pull ~90W. Benchmarks are solid for this TDP
    - 144hz GSync Screen is vibrant - panel is LGD05FE. No backlight bleed on my unit
    - Keyboard is full-size with numberpad. No awkwardly placed macro keys or symbols
    - Thunderbolt 3 (I don't have a device so cannot confirm PCI-e lanes)
    - 3x USB 3, display port, HDMI, SD Card reader, separate microphone & headphone jacks
    - Speakers are Bang & Olufsen and are decent even with fans at maximum

Cons:

- Requires a bunch of tweaks to optimize; out-of-box experience is mediocre otherwise
    - Cannot turbo-boost to max (3.9GHz) for any sustained period of time; I opted for thermal performance at stable 3.6GHz boost
    - No maximum fan setting or controls - although the fan curve adapts quite well; I do not have a decibel measure but it is reasonably LOUD. Turning up the speakers is still ok though.
    - Not a true 90w 2070MQ
    - I needed to buy additional RAM and an NVME drive because HP overcharges for these upgrades
    - Plastic case needs patience to open (but all things easy to access once opened)

I have not seen any in-depth reviews for this 2019 model so please post if you do have this laptop. I am not a professional reviewer so appreciate your comments!

https://imgur.com/a/pm3zH0U? - Images of benchmarks. All are stock GPU with CPU undervolt other than the last image of 16K score with the OC'd 2070MQ at settings noted above

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Arondel likes this.
  2. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for telling us your experiences with this laptop.