HP Omen 15 or MSI GE63

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Raphandryu, Aug 15, 2018.

?

HP Omen 15 dc -OR- MSI GE63

1. Hp omen 15 dc-0085tx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8RF

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I need to get a new laptop by the end of next week and I'm really confused between HP Omen 15 dc-0085tx and MSI GE 63 8RF.

I can't find a lot of reviews for these two laptops which is making it hard to choose one.

Both of the laptops have -
    • i7-8750H
    • GTX 1070 max-q (max-q isn't the requirement but unfortunately that's what I'll get in my country with a budget of $2400 and buying anything from US or other country adds up the custom of near about $800-$1000)
    • 16 GB Ram (upgradable to 32GB)
    • FHD display but
      • Omen have 144 hz panel (not sure about the color accuracy)
      • Msi have a 120 hz panel
    • 1 TB HDD @7200RPM (upgradable)
    • Upgradable SSD slots
      • Omen have 128 GB SSD (that's why it is less costly than msi)
      • MSI have 256 GB SSD
    But the thing is performance. I'm not really sure about which one performs better and how good are the thermals. I'm gonna use it for gaming and graphic designing mostly.

2. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The msi GE models have the full GPUs (the GS models have the 1070 max q).

The GE is better in almost all aspects, except maybe battery life.

To get a better laptop than the GE63, you need to look for laptops/DTRs that are in another class/category (and price range depending on config), like the GT series from MSI or the LGA clevos.

Since there isn't a refresh for the clevo P650, there is no real competitor for the GE63 8XX in this category (mid-high end laptops with semi-slim to "normal" thickness and "medium" weight, 25mm-30mm and ~2.5Kg, that are considered very portable by most people that are able to carry heavier notebooks than ultrabooks).

The asus zephyrus GM501 might be considered a competitor, but it really is a closer competitor for the models in the slim and light category (judging by the thickness).

In it's size/weight class, the GE63 8RG is probably the best cooled BGA laptop (it might need some tweaking to get there, especially if it uses similar ac/dc load line settings to the GT series).

Raphandryu likes this.
  3. Kushagra9320

Kushagra9320 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am having the same doubt between both laptops.

Another difference is that the Omen has 144 Hz IPS panel (shown on their website) while the MSI has a TN panel of 120 Hz (worse viewing angles). Apart from this both are pretty much the same.

Also, Could someone share the cooling systems in both laptops, as I don't know much about cooling in Omen.

4. Raphandryu

Reputations:
    MSI's TN panel has 100% sRGB and 89% AdobeRGB while HP's IPS panel has 95% sRGB and 61% AbodeRGB.

MSI have 7 heatpipes while Omen only 3 (or maybe 4 not sure). Even under a high load, GE63 have no issues in maintaining the temperature around 55-60 degree Celsius while Omen 15 reaches around 80-90 degree Celsius (but there is no thermal throttling even at that temperatures)

One more thing to notice is that, HP's speakers sounds really good while MSI's speakers are just worst. But HP's fan noise is too high as compared to MSI.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  5. Kushagra9320

Kushagra9320 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm curious as to how you finally came to a conclusion and maybe help me out as well. So after lots of reviews, and being from India, it's down HP Omen-dc0085tx (1070, 144Hz) and MSI GE63 RGB.

I especially want GTX 1070 as I think it'll last a bit more longer with AAA titles at high FPS (maybe 3-4 yrs). Also keep in mind that I dont immediately have to buy a new laptop and can wait a few months if required (better deal or more options).

MSI ticks most of the boxes but the battery life is really not good, while Omen has worse colors (albeit 144Hz IPS), worse thermal performance and less SSD space (which could be upgraded but will cost). Prices are nearly similar as well.

Any more help you can give? I also need to make decision based on upgradability and portability. Also if you can point out other options, it'll be helpful. @Raphandryu

6. Raphandryu

Reputations:
    A couple of weeks ago, I was confused about the same thing. I'm from India as well. Okay let me put all the major specs and which one have better. In that way, it'll be clear what you should go with.

*Screen
    If we look at the colour accuracy, I've already mentioned above, MSI have 100% sRGB while Omen got 95% sRGB. But are pretty accurate (MSI is more better) but since you want it for gaming and not for extra high detailed photo or video editing, colour any screen which have more than 80%sRGB is good because you won't see a very huge difference by yourself (there will be but that's non of a concern). MSI have a TN panel and due to that, viewing angles are not good while HP have IPS panel so it looks much better than that of MSI.
    HP>MSI

*Thermals
    MSI have great thermals and there is no doubt in that, while in comparation To MSI, Omen runs hot. It reaches about 80°C-85°C under extreme load but, its normal for a gaming machine. Almost all the gaming machine reaches that temperature except the MSI raider series. Hp is hot but its not like you can't handle it, also it does not throttle.
    MSI>HP

*Speakers
    MSI's inbuilt speakers are garbage. Period.
    HP>MSI

*Storage
    MSI is pre-configured with higher SSD but unfortunately, MSI's storage is slower as compared to what Omen got in it. And since omen is 20,000 INR cheaper than MSI, you can upgrade to 512gb Samsung pro which is the fasted SSD so far.
    HP>MSI

*Port selection
    But are having a neat port selection but HP supports thunderbolt 3 as well and MSI don't.
    HP>MSI

*Battery Life
    MSI gives around 2 hours of battery while simple browsing with half the brightness of screen and around 40-50 min if you're gaming.
    HP gives around 4-5 hours of battery while simple browsing with half the brightness of screen and around 1-2 hours while gaming.
    HP>MSI

*Customer Support
    Don't expect much from MSI. HP and Dell have the best service so far in our country.
    HP>MSI

By so far, it seems HP is way better than MSI in lesser price, right? Well... Kind of here is the last thing.

*GPU
    MSI have a full laptop size gtx 1070 while HP have a 1070 max-q.

Let me make this thing more clear. 1070 performs around 30%-40% better than a 1060 while 1070 max-q performs 5%-15% than a 1060. (1070 max-q runs cooler than 1070 as well as 1060).

If you can tell me your budget, I can suggest which one you should buy and what all thing you can add to it. You can pm me as well if you want any assistance with the purchasing. I'm free most of the time so I can help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.