HP Omen 15 - dc0051nr (new to market) i7 8750h + gtx 1060 thin bezel!

Discussion in 'HP' started by B0B, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Shreys7

Shreys7 Newbie

Reputations:
    How are temps now? I have heard they recently updated BIOS and added a comfort mode in Omen Command center.

2. kmccb

kmccb Newbie

Reputations:
    Something is still jacked.. Like literally the laptop has been off for hours.. I just turned it on and the temps are OK (57* at time of typing) but the fan is so annoyingly loud.. I have the latest BIOS and latest command center.. Comfort setting on and it's still too loud..

I actually have the box to sent it back to HP sitting in my living room waiting for repair but I'm just hesitant to send it as I don't know what they can possibly do to fix it.. :(

Shreys7 likes this.
  3. zeusthedino

zeusthedino Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All,
    I purchased this HP Omen 15-dc0051nr 60hz screen yesterday from microcenter, and the laptop is great! But I noticed the screen is tinted yellow/orange, as you can see in the pictures compared to my other laptop. Yes I have turned off any color changing programs, is this normal? Should I get an exchange?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. zeusthedino

zeusthedino Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got mine and idle temps are around 45-50. Really love the amount of customization they have, with the fan speed, and cpu power

Shreys7 likes this.
  5. zeusthedino

zeusthedino Newbie

Reputations:
    Try Changing thermal paste?

6. Spikey699

Spikey699 Newbie

Reputations:
    Had my Omen 15 dc0110tx for a few days now, my temps are low, started around 45-51 idle, but after removing some crap and UVing, back to 38-43. Haven't really gamed much yet so will see. Haven't used cooling pad yet, doesn't seem needed for idle use but def for gaming.

Fans are really nice and quiet, with flexibility in Command Center for further fan if you want it. Very happy given it runs a bit warm.

7. Shreys7

Shreys7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good to hear.. more good things I hear about Omen is just making me so confused lol..

8. Shreys7

Shreys7 Newbie

Reputations:
    That's really sad . Just get it replaced or repaired. Good luck and keep us posted.

9. zeusthedino

zeusthedino Newbie

Reputations:
    I had this same problem, the display for 60hz isnt really good at alll

10. Intrepid909

Intrepid909 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have registered with notebookreview so that I can thank Bob, and the other contributors on this thread. Based on the information here (all 41 pages of it) I decided to bite the bullet and buy the dc0022na variant (i7 8750H, 16GB, Nvidia 1070MQ,144hz screen), and I am not disappointed. So far I have done the following:

Cleaned up the bloatware
    Installed and configured Throttlestop. CPU cache -125mv, and CPU -125mv, and the system is stable
    Replaced the 1tb hdd with a 1tb Crucial MX500.
    Installed a second 16GB sodimm enabling dual channel
    Updated BIOS to F.07
    Updated all drives and software packages.
    Installed the latest Nvidia driver through GeForce experience

The updated firmware and Omen Command Center now enables three performance profiles, Comfort, Default and Performance.
    Comfort ramps up the fans to bring down the CPU and GPU temperatures. The Fans aren't loud I barely notice them if there is any background noise). I've found that running in this profile not gaming both CPU and GPU run below 50C without a cooling pad
    Default appears to be the same as in previous versions with non gaming usage, and results in slight increase in temps for both CPU and GPU (50-55C)
    Performance pulls out all the stops, but is only required for gaming or other heavy graphics workloads. This ramps up the fans to max under load, and they are very noticeable, though not distracting. Headset recommended.

Gaming I have the same GPU / GPU temperatures as other have reported, with the CPU up to ~88-92C, and GPU up to ~85-87C, but with no thermal throttling (and I've been running games at Ultra setting to tax it). As others have said, this is pretty normal for a gaming laptop. I would prefer to not over tax the hardware, so I have also tested on a cooling pad, with excellent results. I went for the KLIM Wind. It's quiet, and while gaming appear to reduce internal temperatures by between 5 and 8 degrees.

Battery life seems in line with others on this thread, but that's fine for me. Its the compromise for a truly portable gaming machine. I did spend quite a bit of time researching using an ultra-portable (Dell XPS 15) with an eGPU (Gigabyte Aorus 1070 Gaming Box). Its a reasonably good solution, but ALOT more expensive, you lose the ability to game on the go, and the technology has some restrictions and issues with TB3 standards. All in all this is the right solution for me

Thank you all again.