HP Omen 15 - dc0051nr (new to market) i7 8750h + gtx 1060 thin bezel!

Discussion in 'HP' started by B0B, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kristian Lalic

Kristian Lalic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hiya. Just wonder if your HP Omens experience a weird issue of being "sleepy"? Like my sleep timer is set to "Never" but oftentimes I find it sleeping when idle for a few minutes.

2. navytut

navytut Newbie

Reputations:
    Am planning to buy dc0085tx model. I don't game, I edit videos occasionally (1080p).
    Could anyone let me know the performance of this laptop in Premiere Pro and After Effects. Render times doesn't matter to me, am more interested in the actual editing performance like playback and scrubbing. My current setup stutters a lot in those areas.

Also, most of the time, the laptop uptime has to be around 12 hours continuous with just normal websurfing/youtube/movies. I see that this laptop gets heated up quite a bit. Would this activity for continuous 12 hours be ok or would it push the temps a lot?

My current laptop shuts down during rendering due to overheat. Does this happen in this laptop too?

3. technoboy

technoboy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi I just ordered one of these from Computer Upgrade King. From reading this forum it seems people recommend do a clean install of windows. My question is, do I need any of the HP software or can I just have windows fetch all the drivers?
    Thanks Jeff

4. lucirz

lucirz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whats the speed of the RAM on this?

5. kmccb

kmccb Newbie

Reputations:
    My Omen has started running crazy hot at idle.. It's sitting at 86* with the fan blaring and all I'm doing is surfing.. I don't ever use it to game and just casually use it to edit videos.. Other than that, it's used for basic office tasks (word, excel, internet)..

I just updated to the latest BIOS and Command Center and that didn't seem to help.. Anyone else see issues like this? Roughly 3 months old..

Thanks

6. lucirz

lucirz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone knows how many ram slots this has? and also how much ram can each slot support? I was thinking of buying 32gb (2x16gb) but am not sure if this supports it

7. Kristian Lalic

Kristian Lalic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hiya. This laptop has 2 RAM slots that can support up to 2666mhz speeds.

8. Mordardesvarlock

Mordardesvarlock Newbie

Reputations:
    What's the difference between the hp omen 15-0051nr and the 15-dc0030nr? mine arrived and I wanted to update the bios but found out the serial number is different yet the specs seems to be the same (GTX 1060, Core i7-8750h, 16gb ram, etc)

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  10. Spikey699

Spikey699 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there,

I posted in one of the other Omen threads but this seems like a more appropriate place.

How are people's thermals/noise going with the new Omens?
    Also, what cooling pad do people recommend with this unit? (I'm sure it doesn't matter a TON which one, but some fit some models better than others..)

I am looking at the 15" with the 1070 Max Q. Wondering how much improved that graphics performance will be over the Omen with the 1060 (because we don't know if it's true desktop 1060 or mobile version, even if not Max Q version). Also I guess the Max Q 1070 is OC'able?

Curious to hear people's updated thoughts on this. Specs are killer, but usability is everything.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018