HP Omen 15 - dc0051nr (new to market) i7 8750h + gtx 1060 thin bezel!

Discussion in 'HP' started by B0B, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kristian Lalic

Kristian Lalic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hiya. Glad to report that after UV to -.125, power throttled to "better performance" my max temp was 83C, averaging low 60s as per HWINFO. This was after 2.5 hours playing Shadow of Mordor in mixed High-Ultra Settings. Previously I was peaking 99 with thermal throttling in all cores. I will continue to observe and update here but so far, so good.

2. Chamaka

Chamaka Newbie

Reputations:
    What kind of non gaming use? Programming or Video Editing like stuffs? Im not a video editor but I use Visual studio, Android studio and intelij like softwares. Most of time this laptop just silent as non gaming laptop.

3. JugglerP

JugglerP Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm especially interested in thermals and fan noise in the following situtions:
    • 100% idle
    • Streaming music but leave it untouched otherwise. In fact, this is the main use for my current PC when I'm not working or gaming on it.
    • Small office documents like Excel and Word
    • Internet browsing

4. Chamaka

Chamaka Newbie

Reputations:
    When idle - CPU/GPU temps 40/32....
    Normal use :
    CPU temp 48 - 50c (room temp 28-32)
    GPU temp 48 - 50c
    Fan noise - 22-25 db
    (sometimes when fans randomly kicked in noise can goes up to 30db.but only for few minutes)

5. Rzarect0r

Rzarect0r Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there fellow HP owners, special shoutout to Bob for the review (made me pickup this baby @ microcenter).

Does anyone know whether the battery is working correctly when you reinstall windows? I seem to vaguely remember that it would drop to like 90% while charged or stop charging, could be wrong though. But since this is a gaming laptop first and foremost it's always plugged in when I'm playing, but I'm also worried that this might harm the battery.

Anyone got some input on this?

6. De4dD0g

De4dD0g Newbie

Reputations:
    Bob, this is a fantastic review.. I got my laptop today but I feel I was in for a less than happy surprise. I ran some benchmarks and I noticed very low scores on my SSD. Looking into that, I found out there was a Toshiba NVME Kxg50znv256g. The write performance is less than ideal, I'm getting about 250-300MB's and Reads of 1000MB's.. Looking online it seems Samsung users are getting at least twice that. You can notably tell the laptop drags when installing applications and feels sluggish. I'm going to return mine as I'm just not happy about this. I called HP but they said if I sent it in they would have to replace it with the same part number that was already installed. Seems like bad luck if you get the Toshiba NVME.

7. karcho

karcho Newbie

Reputations:
    Hallo guys, i've just recived my Omen today gtx1060 i7 8750h 144hz fhd display, and i have a question about the temperatures
    gpu is 52 and cpu 51C' ,when just watching BOB on yt no gaming or anything...and in default mode....
    in spite od the fact that it is summer and its pretty hot 30-35C.. are these temperatures normal and can i do anything to change them?

8. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Completely normal to get 50-60 with even just chrome/internet explorer and watching YouTube vids especially with your ambient temps that side. Quite normal. Enjoy your laptop, let us know the temps of your CPU and GPU while playing a game.

9. lukechemistry

lukechemistry Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys - so i have the 2018 HP omen 15 with a fresh install of windows 10 and an updated BIOs. I'm getting a lot better temps now after updating the BIOs and undervolting, but my damn clock is totally messed up and fails to keep time properly whenever i put the computer to sleep or shut it down! I have to go into the date/time settings and toggle the update clock automatically for it to fix the time. I've tried going into the control panel and setting the server, clicking update server, and everything else i can think of. If i shut the computer down at 1:30am, and turn it on 12 hours later, the clock will say 1:30am.

Anyone else experiencing this issue on their end? Thanks for any help!

10. ak1119

ak1119 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey karcho, would you mind confirming whether the color depth on your display is 6 bit or 8 bit (it's under advanced display settings under Display in the control panel). I picked up the $999 version from Microcenter with the 60hz display, and I'm having an issue where certain shades of blue and gray show some faint horizontal lines, resulting in larger fields of these colors (for instance, lots of the solid blue areas of Win 10) looking striped/textured rather than solid. I've found a few comments about this issue online, without much resolution, but it sounds like it could be an issue with my display having 6 bit color depth, so I'm wondering it upgrading to the 144hz display might resolve this. Apparently it's an issue that might also just have to do with an individual person's eyes and what they're sensitive to, so I'm at a bit of a loss whether I have a faulty display, whether I need an upgrade, or if I'm just out of luck and maybe need to think about returning.