HP Omen 15 - dc0051nr (new to market) i7 8750h + gtx 1060 thin bezel!

Discussion in 'HP' started by B0B, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kristian Lalic

Kristian Lalic Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh, okay so it’s like UV>BIOS>Disable Turbo if it starts to heatup, right?

I actually plan to do these things in a step-wise manner to ensure that I wouldnt be overdoing it.

While at it, which of those would be the safest one to do for a dummy like myself?

2. quantumslip

quantumslip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yea, that would be the order.

Undervolt is safe. You can probably go straight to -100mV off the bat, then increase it. Bob's video (OP) and channel has guides on doing this.

If you go the BIOS route 35W should be good enough, can always try a little bit lower.

3. HKN21

HKN21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm planning to buy this soon. Can anyone tell me how many m.2 slots this one has? I'd like to install an additional ssd instead of replacing the nvme one.

4. heraldo_jones

heraldo_jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One NVME and one hdd slot, both occupieds

HKN21 likes this.
  5. cl1020

cl1020 Newbie

Reputations:
    I pulled the 1TB spinner and replaced it with that 2TB Micron SSD that you can get for around 260 from time to time. Put the 1TB drive in a 10 dollar usb3.1 cheap external enclosure. The 1TB drive is fast for a spinner, but I'm spoiled by SSD fast load times when starting a game up, etc. Any 2.5 SATA SSD should work fine.

6. HKN21

HKN21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it's very costly in my country (India). 1TB SSD is about 500 dollars here. Laptop itself costs nearly 1900$ and I bargained to get it for about 1750$ (1060 144Hz model). I thought of adding one more cheap 256GB m.2 SSD later. I'm thinking of may be sell the 128GB ssd and get a bigger one.

7. jimsteve80

jimsteve80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Think this is the first review (sort of) I have found of the 1070 max q version with the 144hz screen. Not as detailed as Bob's. But gives you a glimpse and they have different configurations for NZ currently.

jcrazyblue4u likes this.
  8. beer354

beer354 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know what I did but my cpu runs at 4GHZ at all times when plugged in

I did update the bios so maybe that caused it?

9. terrin

terrin Newbie

Reputations:
    When you click on the battery icon in the taskbar, is the slider all the way to the right on "best performance"? This causes the CPU to remain at its max frequency. If so, put it in the middle. Did you change any of your power options in control panel, such as Processor Power Management? Make sure that under Minimum Processor State both On Battery and Plugged In are set to 5% and that under Maximum Processor State both On Battery and Plugged In are set to 100%.

10. jcrazyblue4u

jcrazyblue4u Newbie

Reputations:
    Still waiting for a more thorough review like how Bob does his, we already know a 1070 will out perform the 1060 by at least 10 percent and the real question is does the cooling solution perform adequately for the chassis with this hot combination, in not sure if the 1070 is maxq as I saw this from HP's (u.s.) website today.. I kinda like the chassis as it is... But would have loved gold accents instead of red, like how msi did the gs65 and without the omen logo but instead probably lettering like "HP OMEN" exactly how the previous iteration had.. Just my two cents though... Looking forward for the release of the video though been aching to get this laptop for a while now... Also another thing is pricing I hope they can aggressively price this and undercut their competitors, as hp isn't well known for their gaming titles, though omen itself has been there for quite a while (originally voodoo pc), I hope they succeed with this model... [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk