HP Omen 15 - dc0051nr (new to market) i7 8750h + gtx 1060 thin bezel!

Discussion in 'HP' started by B0B, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Digitalthug

Digitalthug Newbie

Reputations:
    You will NOT be able to find a better bang for buck around $1k - even used! I don't know how/why Microcenter is selling this low. I'm pretty sure they are selling at employee price.

The bios update F1.05 definitely helped with thermals. I would still undervolt no matter what laptop you get, as you are reducing heat with a simple click of a button.

Another tip to keep the thermals in check is to ensure your battery is always topped off before you game, since the battery won't produce heat as it would if it was charging.

The only downside, which I'm seeing with a lot of the laptops from major brands, is the single channel memory config. So you'll be forced to open it up to add another stick and enable dual channel. This is a must if you don't want a gimped laptop.

Oh, and to make this laptop even better, you could eventually swap out the display to the 144hz IPS screen that is available in the higher end model. This means you shouldn't lose brightness control which normally happens when you swap out to non-native panels.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. terrin

terrin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you recommend replacing the 16GB stick with 2 x 8GB or get an additional 16GB for a total of 32GB? I have read articles and watched videos showing that FPS while gaming at 60 Hz is not affected by single vs dual channel memory but that it changes drastically when gaming at 120 or 144 Hz.

Would upgrading to a 144 Hz panel be worth it, in your opinion, with a GTX 1060 in this machine, since it is really meant for 1080p 60 Hz gaming?

3. quantumslip

quantumslip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Depends on the game. For something like Fornite or Overwatch FPS can easily go in the 100's on a 1060 depending on graphic settings (I can generally stick close to 150's with high on overwatch, probably pegged if I drop to medium) so you'll see benefits. League and Dota as well. If you're playing something more graphically demanding then you won't see as much benefit.

the 144hz panel is also more color accurate and brighter, so you'll see benefit there even if the games you play don't go above 60fps.

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    UPDATE 7/10/2018 Panel replacement requires a special screen that has slightly slimmer mounting hardware. User beware. Bezel has clips and sticky tape. I cannot recommend replacement for the average Joe. Small video showcasing as much as I could soon.

sicily428 and Quadzilla like this.
  5. proscher

proscher Newbie

Reputations:
    Can this laptop also use the IGP?
    I would buy that with 1070 144Hz G Sync, or do you think that gets too hot?

6. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As per the review and the OP it does NOT use the iGPU.

I wouldn’t worry about GPU temperatures in modern laptops as much as I would the CPU.

7. proscher

proscher Newbie

Reputations:
    You can not switch to igp?

8. terrin

terrin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, you can't use integrated graphics on this machine at all.

9. Kristian Lalic

Kristian Lalic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hiya,

I’ll be getting this laptop (the 1070MQ version) in a couple of days time, and I just want to make sure if what I gathered from the internet is enough to make the thermals stable:

1. Performance Mode in HP Command Center when gaming
    2. Update BIOS to latest version
    3. Disable Turbo Boost

I’ve never had a Windows 10 laptop, or any decent one in the last 6-7 years so I’m kinda new to the nuts and bolts of these kinds of machine. Any other suggestion or recommendations for setting up?

10. quantumslip

quantumslip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wouldn't disable turbo boost, as non turbo is a bit low (2.2 ghz). Could be good enough for you. However undervolting is the better route to go. If you still need more headroom you can lower the max turbo power in the bios or xtu/throttlestop from 45W to a lower number.