HP Omen 15 - dc0051nr (new to market) i7 8750h + gtx 1060 thin bezel!

Discussion in 'HP' started by B0B, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jcrazyblue4u

jcrazyblue4u Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey jp how much is it I looked at the hp UK site and it says it's 1599 pounds which is almost double of what you can get it for what you can get from microcenter albeit you will get the 1070 and 144hz display I am quite excited how this model turns out, how a re thermals by the way? I am willing to get it if it's 1299 or less

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. cl1020

cl1020 Newbie

Reputations:
    Recently picked this up off ebay during the last 15% off promotion. So far liking it quite a bit. Hopefully it keeps me from caving in to the urge to spend way too much money on the new Razer Blade.

Just in case anyone is considering purchasing and adding another 16GB stick to match the one from the factory, mine came with a different model/manufacturer than previously mentioned, Hynix HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK. Same specs, so even if you mixed with the Micron you should be ok ,but if your looking to have them match exactly you may want to double check what yours came with.

3. quantumslip

quantumslip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got it. On my current profile (better battery, default hp recommended) CPU initially kicks up to 2.4ghz then drops to ~1.53Ghz. Cinebench score of 494. If I'm plugged in I get closer to the 3930K listed as a reference (so ~1096). Keep in mind I did undervolt as well (-120mV).

This is my first good laptop in a while so I don't know how it compares to other laptops when they run off battery. I just know performance won't be as good.

heraldo_jones likes this.
  4. heraldo_jones

heraldo_jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks buddy, just ordered the "15-dc0013ns" (i7-8750H, 1x16gb DDR4 2666mhz, GTX 1060 6GB and 144hz G-Sync display, 256gb NVME and 1tb 7200rpm HDD). I will put a 1tb Samsung 960 evo inside and make a fresh install, remove "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" as it seems to affect performance while on battery and try to optimize it as maximun as possible. I will show my experience asap. All the best.

5. quantumslip

quantumslip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wanted to update real quick. That score I gave is when I'm power limited (not thermal limited) by repeated runs. First run score are actually a little bit higher.

https://imgur.com/a/wY6Dvu0

Also, I'm jealous of the display you're getting. I wanted the 144hz panel but that config isn't available in stores yet in the USA outside of doing a custom order. I guess I shouldn't complain as I got an open box version of dc0051nr from Microcenter for only $899 + 8.25% tax ($974.24). May upgrade in the future.

6. heraldo_jones

heraldo_jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Those look like a really good results, IMO one of the best 8750H performers in the market. About the screen ... I'm not much a player so really got this model due to the GTX 1060 being really good when video editing and love the "no OPTIMUS" thing, so not to be dueling with lags when switching between gpus. Also I think it could be the same screen as in the Aero, so it will look marvelous.

B0B likes this.
  7. jimsteve80

jimsteve80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Wonder what other options are there in the UK for a 8th gen 1070 gtx laptop with both gsync and thunderbolt as well as an nvme drive at this price range

8. jcrazyblue4u

jcrazyblue4u Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to see that also... I hope I can see thermals on it... Hope Bob follows up on upgrading the screen to 144 hz and manage to change the brightness on the laptop...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I returned mine. The battery capacity dropped 5% in 15 days. As long as I didn't use the battery, it was okay. But even if I used it just a little (down to 89% for a example) the max capacity after it recharged would drop. At that rate, the battery wouldn't even have lasted a year. It was a great laptop though.

10. excessiveidling

excessiveidling Newbie

Reputations:
    I've read all the posts on here, I've watched your review and I also saw the video regarding a bios update push that helps cool the system down. I'm continuously pondering this laptop as for the price it can't be beat, but like many others are concerned about the heat. I never intend on playing games on battery or on my lap. I have a 24inch asus 1ms gaming monitor that I would be connecting to the laptop via hdmi. At most I would use the display on the laptop as a secondary screen. All gaming would be done on my desk with more than likely the lid closed on my Zalman NC1000 cooling pad.

Knowing the above information, would you STILL recommend this machine? Is it usable out of the box (maybe a bios update)? While I work in IT I'm not one for opening laptops and doing taredowns anymore lol. Is overheating still rampant without undervolting? Basically, if I lay $1000 will I be able to play Witcher 3 and/or Destiny 2 and/or World of Warcraft without overheating/throttling issues?

If not, for a price max of 1000 what would you recommend? I don't NEED the 6 core processor, I'd like a gtx1060 but at very least 1050 ti.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/suggestions/constructive opinions/insults/swear words/etc lol

Btw, keep up the awesome reviews!