HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ebay. They are the exact part number and manufacturer. Like for like. You must make sure you get the proper fans for your GPU setup. Mine is 2080 Super so these are the ones that worked for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114159704405

I also went and repasted again with Kryonaught. So much better. Screw MX4.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    Picked this up for $9 from this local shop and added Wifi 6 just like that. I had the Intel 9650NGW card before. Automatically updated the BT driver and brought over my wifi login. So far its running great for a cheap mod.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/l57250-005.html

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  3. Sickox

Sickox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys i have omen 17 2080 (2019 mode) and my laptop is overheating after i did factory reset, it wasn't overheating like this before. can someone explain?

4. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What BIOS are you on? I recommend the F35. Mine overheated out of the box and I fixed it, just go back 2 years to follow that saga. If yours just started doing it, it may just need a cleaning or repaste. Up to F35 the BIOS power limits are the same, but if you've reinstalled/are using latest omen gaming hub, different versions of that have different power targets for the modes. If you're suddenly now running 90 watt PL1/PL2 with the older Omen Command Center you may indeed be getting temperature spikes.
    So need to know your BIOS and what version HP software you're using, either OCC/OGH.

5. Sickox

Reputations:
    im using f.40 bios..? is there is a way to rollback to f.35?

6. Burrick

Reputations:
    That I don't know, most of the updates have been quick and just the basic BIOS, but I think it was 30 was a huge one that took forever and updated many firmwares throughout the machine--previously chatted with someone who was unable to rollback that one. I don't know what's happened between 35 and 40.
    But the version doesn't magically change how hot your chips get; it can change what wattages HP allows to run and resultant temps, but up to 35 the PL limits had been managed by the software and not the BIOS. I've stayed on 35 because it's fine, I don't want undervolting to go away, and the release notes haven't said anything I care about.
    I assume you have the i9-9880H? Also, when you did "factory reset" did you use HP cloud recovery, the Widdows refresh, or what? Since you're on the newest BIOS you may have a mismatch between the BIOS and the software? If you use HCR it puts you back to 2019 OOBE condition and needs updates beyond just Windows.
    Unless you bought a new boxed 2019 model if you've never opened it, it's seems most likely it's dirty or dried out paste. The sudden increase may just be your PL settings have changed, but this machine, with GPU idle and no undervolt, can run the i9 at its full turbo boost curve at around 90C and 90W. It will hit 100 with the GPU active and takes some taming. Where are you getting the spikes? Gaming, general Windows, or benchmarking?

7. Sickox

Reputations:
    hey do you have discord we can chat on?

8. Burrick

Reputations:
    sent you a chat

9. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    Ahh I see that HP Support Site has bios F.31 now for mine. Upgrading now.

10. Sickox

Reputations:
    I don’t get it. Im on f.40 now, can i download f.35 (available on hp site) and install it on the f.40?