HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've also put a ton of 660ps or whatever their QLC drives are in friends' computers and they run great for general use. Cool, too. My D:\ game SSD is a 2TB Rocket Q which doesn't run nearly as cool but it's snappy enough for loading up games and has been trouble-free. I honestly can't say the Optane cache versus conventional SLC cache is any faster for a QLC drive. My takeaway from the whole thing is why would I want any of the work usually handled by a controller being put as additional load on my CPU? It's just a whole 'nother layer of complication and points of failure.

AlleyKat likes this.
  2. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Newbie

Reputations:
    right, like handle the caching in the drive controller, or the CPU memory controller, or the PCH, really anything but the RST software RAID driver.

3. peterthedoor

peterthedoor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just had my laptop cleaned and repasted with TFX... in idle, it usually did even 40°, now it's sitting at les than 30° with no undervolt.
    For gaming benchmarks i'll wait a little to have it cure, but the premises are good

4. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    The thermal compound HP uses is very stable and doesn't seem to degrade much even with a few years of HARD use, but absolute garbage in terms of heat transmission. Even old faithful MX4 is way better temperature wise.

5. peterthedoor

peterthedoor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same settings, same undervolt, fallout 76 passed from a good 85° celsius to both cpu and gpu to a max of 61.
    It's bonkers. I can now hear my thoughts without the fans at max speed.

6. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Newbie

Reputations:
    Some more tuning progress...

I decided to try out the 115W vBIOS and my GPU clocks are through the roof! Getting about 1800-1900Mhz in Quake 2 RTX and Time Spy (and my TS score went up to 7240) and seeing around 2Ghz(!) sustained in Cyberpunk. GPU TBP limit stays at max now (no more dropping to 80W) but it's an even more delicate balance to keep the CPU running well. Even in Performance Mode with max fans the CPU PL1 will drop to 25W pretty quickly if CPU & GPU usage is both high. That's still enough for 3300Mhz with all cores loaded though which is acceptable. I made some Afterburner profiles with locked GPU vCore and if I keep the TBP under 100W that way the CPU will stay at 55W or higher PL1 (about 35-45W actual) at 4Ghz indefinitely. I'm still struggling to understand what exactly are the triggers for the firmware to lower the CPU PL1 but it seems like some combination of CPU power, CPU temp, CPU clock, fan speed, performance mode, charger capacity, charger temp, battery draw, and maybe VRM temp.

With the 200W charger I've calculated about 10W battery drain @ 115W GPU/25W CPU (if HWINFO is reading the battery data correctly) and the charger gets warm but not uncomfortably hot. The battery usage isn't too severe, didn't seem to cause any issues over several hours of continuous gaming but its obviously not ideal. I have a 230W zBook charger but it uses the larger 7.4mm plug so I ordered some adapter, the L kind, not the dongle kind so hopefully the current carrying capacity is ok. Got extra so I can cut one open and see how safe it looks. Hopefully it works, having that extra 30W might let me push the CPU clocks up to 4Ghz all-core with 115W GPU and still not have battery drain, then I'd really be in PC tuner heaven lol

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  7. 4rtz1z

4rtz1z Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone here have the Omen 15 with Realtek Wifi Card ? What RTL is ?
    I want to buy the Ryzen one, but in my country the Ryzen + RTX 2060 is using Realtek Wifi Card, i'm afraid about the performance of the card, and HP is well known too block non factory defaults card. And does anyone had experience changing to intel card ?

8. willhub

willhub Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Gutted, my laptop has finally been hit with Plundervolt, I can see the offset in Throttlestop is +0000 :( Is it possible to rollback bios to fix this?

9. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well we can't help you if you don't tell us the model of you notebook....

10. willhub

willhub Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    HP OMEN 15-dc1045na