HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No I didn’t install XTU from Intel, I only installed Omen stuff, but apparently the xtu process comes with it?

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's inside the "Omen SDK" which comes on it, updates itself, and is also available separately on the support/downloads page for your model. I've never had any difficulty disabling it, other than OGH will whine about reduced functionality. Getting the different parts to line up properly (BIOS/OCC/OGH/SDK) is a running funfest. I learned right away to disable auto updates in Microsoft Store on this machine for that reason--constantly losing temps, etc. I hate UWP apps, and wish I had just stuck with the original OCC.

3. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Yes I wish HP would make OGH less cluttered with stuff I don't want or need. I literally only use it to put the notebook in performance mode for the extra wattage (wich btw should be automatically allowd in windows performance mode).

4. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought it from europe, was 18euros including shipping to UK, and also on the recco from bobofalltrades channel

https://kingpincoolingeuropesupplies.com/

temps stable so far, not noticed any creep up, gaming for long hours in call of duty cold war and GPU in 70s, cpu average high 70s, max spike 88deg C. In flight simulator both are in 70s after hours and hours (I still have max performance & discrete in omen but undervolt on cpu & x37multiplier, and max wattage set to 44watts in throttle stop. GPU goes up to 100watts in COD. The 2060 is great, but the cpu wattage needs to be controlled for keeping temp down, on my system anyway)

5. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately it's sold out on the site

6. peterthedoor

peterthedoor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! i have a omen 15 dc1041nl since a year and a half and i'm really loving it, except for thermals that are what they are... well i can't complain about a heated keyboard in december.
    Does anyone have any suggestion on repasting (no conductive pastes please)? I was thinking ic diamond but there's no availability in italy

7. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't have your model so can't give too many specifics: I have the 17. I repasted with both MX4 and Kryonaut with good results, the Kryonaut has lasted 1 year so far despite rumors it "pumps out." The HPs benefit from a cooling pad, Notebook Fan Control can give you a better fan curve than the default, you can use Omen Gaming Hub's/Omen Command Center's Max Fan when gaming (it's higher than default will reach), the 17 has a black plastic shield over most of the bottom vent that's removable to good benefit (lets the pad fans reach the SSDs, etc.), a modest undervolt helps a little, get your background processes under control. Make sure the hot air isn't getting sucked back underneath, black card stock is good for this, and ventilate the area behind the laptop or it can become a sauna between the back of the screen and the wall.
    Background activity has helped me immeasurably, since with a powerful processor things like Chrome/Google compatability check or update doesn't care that you're doing something else and will load up your CPU with 35W worth of work. It's annoying but just like 1999, I'm still gaming after a clean reboot with max fan. The machine is fine under game load but those fun Windows 10 random spikes can throttle it.
    Oh, and use throttle stop to dial down your peak CPU frequencies when gaming. Works much better than CPU power limits or just disabling turbo, which is unnecessarily extreme. Just bring them down to 100-300 MHz below the normal all core turbo limit.

8. peterthedoor

peterthedoor Newbie

Reputations:
    Which year is yours? Mine is a 2018 model year if i remember it right, maybe software wise something changes from yours (omen control center allows you something more? i can't even manually control fans from it)
    I do use throttlestop, currently it's on -140mV, and i have profiles for 3,5 and 3,7 ghz (from 4.1 ghz max clock). Undervolting the gpu, another story, either i did something wrong in afterburner or the difference wasn't noticeable at all. I also set the omen control to "confort" and i went in windows power saving settings and capped the cpu at 99%, and it does help with temps, and now on heavier games like Forza Horizon 4 i average 85° celsius on both cpu and gpu, at a stable 72 fps, even with a cooling stand.

9. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If yours is two years old (of use), it's working pretty well. I really only get concerned with spikes over 90C. Your GPU temp is a bit high though, the big issue since they started using >4 core CPUs is ridiculous CPU temps. Like, 100 out the box, throttling, and being told it's normal. I assume you have a GTX 1070 or somesuch? Nvidia has different max temps from Intel and also between generations. They also start to throttle below 90, whereas Intel won't throttle at all until it hits 100 C.
    Have you cleaned it out inside or repasted it since new? Has it gotten hotter over time or it's always been this way and you're just sick of it?

10. peterthedoor

peterthedoor Newbie

Reputations:
    2060, i7 8750h, 16gb ram. It's always been like that, with no undervolt/ underclock (i usually run it at -140mV, 3.5 or 3.7 ghz cap) and no 99% cap on windows power management cpu does throttle easily, and since the heatsink is shared, gpu heats up too. I usually clean it every 6 months, never repasted it but i'm seriously thinking to do it. I asked on this forum, i think i'll try using TFX