HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey I've got a question for anyone more knowledgeable than me. I think is actually as a result of the BSOD from the new OGH automatic undervolting process. I've had very few BSOD on this machine but it does NOT handle it well. Once, it wouldn't boot at all but I just kind of left it alone and it rebooted itself several times and was fixed.
    I keep a current image using Macrium Reflect on an external; it will occasionally ask for chkdsk to be run and I've never had an issue with it not being able to be backed up. But this time I got the "MFT corrupt - Error code = 6. Please run 'chkdsk /r'" error, and checking via properties/tools is also saying there are errors and schedules the check. It gone through several cycles of chkdsk, with the pre-boot check, some long, some shorter, and I've also scheduled them manually with all iterations of the flags (/f /r /forceoffline fix while in safe mode). It's got about 50 files it doesn't like, included some in these ..\found.?? hidden directories that don't even show up in explorer but are there via DOS, with undeletable .chk files.
    I just did the latest Windows Update which took, and am recreating the recovery USB. I'm going to try chkdsk off that, since I've been using the self booting safe mode command prompt.
    All the NTFS MFT repair stuff I can find is generally for when the machine won't boot at all, or is along the lines of MBR repair. How do I force chkdsk to just delete the messed up files and mark the disk as clean? Or is there another utility that can do this?
    Oh, and I have done /r and it reports no bad sectors. Crystaldiskinfo reports all SMART flags on my C:\ SSD as good.
    It's not the 2004 update either, I was able to back it up once after that.
    Thanks for any help, I really don't want to rebuild this from an image two months ago. And since when did a PC become unrecoverable from a stupid shutdown?

2. Gavrilo Princip

Gavrilo Princip Newbie

Reputations:
  3. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No it was the one intentionally generated by the Omen Gaming Hub auto-undervolt sequence, which involves several reboots. It's the 2019 17t, i9/2080 5VX37AV cb0xxx upgraded last month to F35.

4. Gavrilo Princip

Gavrilo Princip Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know the reason for undervolting || auto-undervolt but I had a reason to lower fan noise on my 2019 17-an170nm i7-8750/GTX1070 so I disabled TurboBoost in ThrottleStop (was a pain to have it always enabled because TS can't run as LocalService afaik, nothing TaskScheduler and new auto sign-in cant solve). I enjoy clocking desktops... this is just a toy to be honest... and not really a robust one according to your situation.

5. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bought my son a xmas laptop, went for same but different, Lenono legion 5P. Same 2060, ryzen cpu, will be interesting to see it against the omen15

6. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys I need help.
    I want to repaste the CPU-GPU. Usually I used the Artic 5 paste.
    What paste do you raccomend? It must be at least as good and mantain it's performance for at least 1-2 years. Thx

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I had always used MX4 but got better results in this machine with Kryonaut.

8. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Kryonaut is great at first. However after time it will allow the core temps to differ really bad. I believe long higher temp gaming sessions thin it out just a little and the 17t cooling solution allows it spread to the sides. I'm now Noctua HT-N2 but MX4 is great for longevity for sure.

9. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    I used MX4 also, and have been happy with the results. Noticeably better than the stock paste.
    I have heard similar complaints of Kryonaut being prone to pump out in laptops, so have left that for desktop use only.

Given the i9, I figured it was definately worth slapping some better paste on the i9 and 2080 (especially with my OC).

10. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've got the same machine but the MX4 wasn't pumping out, it was popping up because the CPU side of the heatsink was too gapped. I put it together with a copper shim and kryonaut and it's holding together well for almost a year now. Unique case. The GPU def runs about 3 degrees cooler with kryonaut vs MX4.