HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well NoteboFanControl works with my OMEN 17, so you could try that option. But you will lose the function botton 'full speed fans' in OGH while NFC is enabled.

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How did you get it working? I tried and tried, someone posted here or in the vBIOS mod thread with a link to a functioning version but no joy for me.

3. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just set a custom in the OGH of -0.115v.

4. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Unfortunately my CPU seems to like undervolting 'CPU core' better as opposed to 'CPU cache'.
    And since OGH undervolts them together (not separately), that is probably why I only get -0.75V automatic undervolt in my case. The weaker link in the chain (CPU cache) is to blame probably.
    But for me it's no problem really, I will just continue using TS for undervolting since it allows me to undervolt the 2 parameters separately. Thus I can get a pretty good -1.44V on my 'CPU core', which is the one I need most to keep the temperatures down.ù

Every CPU is different so I suggest everyone to experiment a little to find the best undervolt option TS/OGH ;)

OneSickOmen17t likes this.
  5. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    As far as I am aware there is no specific option for my HP model (OMEN 17-cb00092nl, from 2019) in NFC.
    I tried many and I did find 1 that works. Unfortunately I don't remember specifically which it was, and I since renamed the file to my model in order to easily find it if necessary.
    BUT i'm not the author and unfortunately I can't tell you who to credit specifically :/
    For me it's certainly nice to have the possibility for a more 'agressive' fan option in NFC while gaming, as it help with the notebook temps & cooling, expecially during summer months.

I've uploaded the file so you may try it out on your model. Remember to copy it into your NFC installation directory (in my case c:\programs x86\NotebboFancontrol\Configs), to select & apply the specific fan configuration, and to set fan control status to ENABLED. Hope it works for you as it does for me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  6. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'll try it out.

7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It doesn't work that way. The core and cache are linked

8. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Could you elaborate what you were reffering to exactly? If I use OGH to undervolt, it does so for both core and cache (linked). BUT if I use TS, I CAN undervolt Core and Cache CPU (separately).
    I tested it with HWmonitor (version 1.42) and it clearly shows separate undervolting for core/cache under TS.

P.S. you can undervolt CPU core by much more (like someone said), BUT this will result in less CPU speed (because modern CPU/GPU's automatically adjust/limits the max Ghz achivable if there is not enough voltage, to keep the system stable I belive). So too much undeevolting will result in less heat BUT also less speed. You need to find the right balance probably.

9. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It works, thank you very much. So now that the light studio is separate, I can conceivably run without OGH at all which is good. Disabling the xtu service underneath it seems to allow Throttlestop almost free reign, but the OGH performance buttons still affect PL1/2 and the turbo timer as well which is not good (that's a new, unwanted addition).

OMEN 17-cb0009nl likes this.
  10. Gavrilo Princip

Gavrilo Princip Newbie

Reputations:
    I have some questions about HP OMEN laptops.
    1) Does any Omen owner experienced battery drain issue (up to 7% per day) when laptop is off as I discribed here.
    2) What is 17 vs 17t difference? Is it Max-Q version or display 144Hz version related?
    3) What are official mods one can try on his Omen 17 laptop? I think I will send battery to the 3rd party shop for cell replacement if HP doen't have official take on the subject...

PS On that link I mention funny issue I had in 2017 with ESD on Omen 15 so someone might find it helpfull.