HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. K_Michael

K_Michael Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I am thinking about buying an Omen 17 2020, with a RTX 2070 card.
    HP have opened the possibility to lower the voltage, or is this function still blocked?

2. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On my RTX2070 from 10/2019 you can lower the GPU voltage using MSI afterburner. I actually have it lovered right now a little bit. I don't think HP is blocking it on other models.

If I remember correctly, the function was disabled (greyed out) by default in MSI,..... but you could enable it with a specific procedure. It's been a while so don't quote me on this but if I remembrer correctly its the function 'enable low-level hardware access interface' (user mode) and 'unlock voltage control' (third party) under the GENERAL TAB in MSI settings.
    This way MSI can track your voltage and modify/apply it using your settings.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  3. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Well the problem of Intel CPU high-temps is a well known problem in all notebooks, unless you use liquid metal to cool the beasts ;)
    Just Set CPU multiplier to something a little lower. Most games aren't CPU bottlenecked but GPU is the main limit in most of them.
    Have you tried to undervolt CPU e GPU.
    Repasted recently?

4. K_Michael

K_Michael Newbie

Reputations:
    I probably didn't put it that way, I meant undervolting the processor. On models with I7 10750H

5. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Sorry my mistake, I supposed you were talking about GPU. As for the CPU I can't help since I have gen9 wich is OC enabled

6. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No I havn't done any of that, I did go in and set max cpu state at 99%. I'm avoiding tearing this down to repaste though since it looks like a lot of work. I'm assuming throttlestop would be used for undervolting?

7. gatewayfx

gatewayfx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's actually SUPER easy. I am a complete amateur and had my notebook disassembled for a repaste and then reassembled in a little over an hour. HP built this notebook to be taken apart easily.

seanwee and hertzian56 like this.
  8. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I did take off the back and look at it, get dust off and I do have to say it is a lot easier than a precision m6700, much less small screws and stuff. Looks like the heatsink can be pulled off for both cpu/gpu at once. One bad thing about this model though is that you can't easily change the keyboard, this one's keyboard has about 15 keys that have to be banged on pretty hard to get them to work so I'm still wondering if I want to keep this or send it back via ebay returns. I did get a wireless mouse/keyboard and just use that though. For the price I got it for it's still pretty good deal. It also needs a new battery but this would only ever be plugged in so I can put that off.

9. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Yes use trottlestop, it worls like a charm for me.
    Look online for the most common undervolting levels for your CPU model and start from there or a little bit less for safety and test it out. Also remember to set CPU multiplier down 3-400 mhz, it will actually make your CPU faster because it will run at that speed most of the time (if temp are ok) and even stop overheating.

As for the repaste, I am no electrician but I assure you on my model it is very easy to open the back part, remove HDD/SDD & RAM & the heatsink and repaste. I did it in less than 30 minutes probably :)

10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Stop overheating yes. Make your cpu faster no, it'll be slower.

The best option would be to repaste to stop overheating and then let the cpu run at its maximum speed.