HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The factory 512gb in my 2020 is a Samsung. I never thought to check. Which I'll do today after some gaming. I have a 2tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus coming. Now I just need to find out how to clone the drive. I'm worried if i go clean Win 10 Pro install some of the HP bios/stuff won't work right. I'll get to test if both NvME ports work. I'm figuring they will. When I went in to repaste one of the wire holding clips for where the charger port wire is held against the fan was broken already. Doesn't hurt performance/use at all. Just something that I remember from going in there.

2. collegekid28

collegekid28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 2020 omen 17. It has two M2 slots and another for a standard 2.5 SSD or mechanical hard drive. My second M2 just doesn't work. Even if I take the factory M2 (Samsung) that came with it and put it into the second M2 slot the computer will not boot.

Spec is...
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H
    16GB SK Hynix 3200MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
    Main Hard drive - SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000H1 (M2 SSD 512GB)
    Second Hard drive (storage) WDC WD10SPSX-60A6WT0 (7200 RPM 2TB)
    System Board - 8748 05.30
    System BIOS - F.14

3. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    Playing Rocket League for about 35min and temp max was 77*c. Going to try Warzone now.

4. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Before you return it for warranty fix, try running samsung magician to see if it can see the original in the second slot

For imaging I use Macrium Reflect, its brilliant. I think the free version can clone a drive, it can make an image of a whole drive, not sure about clone but I have used it for years across different versions, never let me down.

I cloned my original to the new 1TB for the same reasons you say, and now use my original drive for holding games and having a seperate windows installation for work apps

5. collegekid28

collegekid28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That was one of the first things I tried. Believe it or not I got a HP tech on the phone and he said the port is probably locked out because it didn't come with anything in it.

I don't buy that. I think it's broken. I usually go through a motherboard or two during my laptop cycles (drops, falls, etc) so I will see at some point.

6. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    locked down I doubt it. If its phisically there, it should work. I never tested mine since I use the original 1 + an SSD on a Sata3 port where the HDD is supposed to be.
    Try the M2 slot with a different brand of storage drive

7. JohnnyR8

JohnnyR8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Burrick with his i9-9880H 8 core CPU told me, that in his experience F.30 should be a BIOS that allows stable undervolting...

Is this surely the same with my 9750H - 6 core, and what is the latest BIOS version with my CPU, where undervolt is working correct and stable?

I stumbled about the following thread in the HP- forum, where the creator has problems to downgrade below F.30... can someone confirm this?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HOW-TO-DOWNGRADE-BIOS-FIRMWARE/td-p/7722014

Currently i am running a stable UV with Throttlestop under BIOS version F.16 and Windows pro 10 version 2004.

At the moment i am tending to upgrade to F.22 which is mentioned in some threads as a safe bet...

if am getting the "plundervolt fix" through updating my BIOS, and i have no option to downgrade, i have thermal problems during high CPU usage...

8. OneSickOmen17t

Reputations:
    I finally got my new NVMe and can confirm both ports work. Swapping the OS drive to either launches and runs fine. I changed the heat pad out thought and bent the bracket some so it would actually contact the SSDs. It was bowing up and away like a rainbow of sorts. I used another 1mm pad though. I may order some 2mm. Drive never goes above 70 even when gaming. However Samsung software says too high at anything over like 50. LOL

9. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I have been using the latest BIOS F33 REV.A on my Omen 17 with intel 9750H, and it was a perfect experience for me till now. Latest Win 10 updates.
    No plundervolt fix for me.
    Trottlestop works fine as always.
    BTW, the amount of UV you get depends on your CPU/GPU lottery and has nothing to do with the bios version. I tried with 5 different Bios updates in the last year I owned the notebook, and my stable CPU undervolt limits are always the same.

Go for the latest F33 firmware, no problem. And If you need to rolback to your previous BIOS, I'm sure there I saw an option in the bios (pressing F2 at begining of boot if I remember correctly, you have the 'firmware managment' option). Inside there are bios UPDATE/ROLLBACK options, and you can rollback automatically to the previous bios you had installed or select one fron a USB stick.
    Never needed it so I can't say how it works, but it should.

As for the thermal problems you are referring to, they are typical of the Intel CPU's. Mine should go up to 4500 mhz, but it doesn't it trottles because of heat. If you repasted correctly you should be able to hit 3.9-4.0 Ghz stable (unless you undervolted too much that is, thiese modern CPU's do a lot of things by themselfs based on voltage and temps).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    JohnnyR8 likes this.
  10. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got a used omen 17, 7700hq, 1070. I had a couple of questions. What are considered normal temps while gaming? On RDR2 etc locked to 60fps I've seen cpu 80c+ and gpu about the same, I raise the back while gaming on a hard surface. Sometimes the cpu gets into low 90c range too.
    -There is some noticeable light bleed, not really an issue but I do notice it, does bleed get worse over time?