HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 10th gen has a max turbo PL of 107 on my HP.

2. JohnnyR8

JohnnyR8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    is it possible to undervolt with the new F.33 Rev.A?

i can't find previous BIOS versions to download on the HP page... only F.33 Rev.A... does somebody have a link, or plz send me older versions to try out first... got my Omen (9750H) with really old F.15 installed

3. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On F30 yes, on F33 yes but either that or Windows Update 2004 may make your undervolt unreliable. This is on 9th gen.
    Oh BTW expand it, expand "previous versions" they're all there. I haven't had any problems with any of them, although I never tried F32.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  4. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am finding that the high limits are unrealistic as at least one core will quite quickly go to thermal throttling

After a re-paste I am neutering mine 38/30 watts to keep cpu in 80s over extended time gaming, with auto fans

5. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm running around 80-85*c with spikes up to 95*. My repaste is about a month and a half old. I may redo it one more time. However the longterm graphs do not show the spikes above 85*c due to how fast they are. I'm happy where im at.

6. collegekid28

collegekid28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a omen 17 with two M2 slots. Only one works. This is my third omen laptop and the two others also had two m2 slots and I could always add a second M2 SSD. Does anyone else have a M2 slot that is locked out? Or is it just broken?

7. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm, that's peculiar. The one it came with (the execrable H10) was in the 1 slot, on the right. Only after adding one did I realize the empty slot (left) is 0, but it still boots normally. Are you sure they're both Nvme? Does it appear in BIOS? You also have to initialize it in disk management, I'm sure you knew that.
    That heatsink is also a piece of garbage and makes it very difficult to seat both of them properly. If you try to go without it, you can't tighten them down as it also serves as a spacer, you'll have to get some washers. Make sure you look sideways as you tighten the bracket, the thermal pads will bend the SSDs if you screw it down too much depending on how high the chips are, if it has a label/spreader/heatsink on top.
    I've also wondered if it's possible to run out of PCI lanes on this thing, do you have something thunderbolt plugged in?
    I did ruin one SSD in this machine, from either the aforementioned bending or frying itself running without the heatsink.

8. collegekid28

collegekid28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's a 2020 Omen 17 with 2070 Super. I have the SSD it came with and a 2tb mechanical. I didn't have any problems adding the drive. The Bios is also pretty much empty. They have locked down everything. Also all I can actually see is the 2tb drive. I do see some raid options but the bios is pretty bare.

The drive doesn't show up in disk management. I thought maybe that was it.

Anyone got any info about this? I figured I would bring it up whenever I had to send it in for warrenty repair.

9. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I added a second Nvme to my omen 15 okay, cloned the original to a 1TB. This laptop has 2x Nvme slots only

I'm a bit confused about your hardware, are you adding an Nvme or using some sort of adapter into that slot? Could suggest trying the free mini partition wizard software to see if you can initialise the drive?

10. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    I have the 2019 with two m.2 slots and both work (and yes the heatshield is garbage, but I don't want to have to buy two heatsinks to replace it). The Kioxia drives they came with get damn toasty, much hotter than my secondary NVME drive, but I don't want to replace for ease of warranty repairs.

My previous 2018 model only had one m.2 slot but this also worked perfectly with no hassles beyond changing drive boot order.

I would speak to HP. The build consistency on these seems to be a bit hit and miss, probably why they are such great value - as an example one of the connector ports for one of the internal cables on my wife's model came damaged, I noticed it when I opened the machine to add a second m.2 drive that one side of the plastic surround was broken off. Doesn't affect it at all as the port still holds the connector from the other side, but that and the hit and miss IPS bleed on these tells me all I need to know there haha

Still love the machines though, they are genuine bargains at times compared to the UK competition.

PS has anyone found any half decent low profile nvme heatsinks that fit well inside the limited space we have and aid cooling?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020