HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thanks for the responses guys. I was dreading these issues, but thankfully, I reset the laptop using windows reset and everything seems to be working. I did get a new charging cable. But it was a software issue. It is possible that the windows 10 creators update.

Much happier with the machine up and running. The only issue now is the fan speed on the laptop. NBFC seems to have no effect. The CPU has turbo disabled through throttletop (nothing over 2.8 ghz), although still cannot set multiplier manually, has no effect when turned on.

On the other hand, using MSI Afterburner, gpu clock speed and vRAM are set to 300 (lowest it can go) and around 39c, but the fans still kick in after every few minutes. Extremely annoying in a silent room.

2. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey! I bought mine from the US but using it in China as well. You got it only slightly expensive but still a good price compared to what I've seen. I was happy till they crippled steam community here. Deeply annoying. Any suggestions for ping? I get horrendous lag in some games with low player counts here (rts titles)

3. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Random aside, but I've found the 120Hz panel in my Omen will overclock to 128Hz.
    Testufo and testufo frameskipping test seem to verify it does actually run 128 approx a second, and WoW seems to lock around 127.7 FPS if Vsync engages. Not sure if it breaks Gsync at all. Not massive boost, but certainly a nice additional note.

130/144 unfortunately not useable, and just garble :)

4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally got my hands on a $500 Omen 15 (Walmart Pricing error model).

Surprisingly a good laptop lol.. I liquid metal'd it and temps are crazy low now.

5. republicofsam

republicofsam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the Omen X 17t? I'm really interested in the FHD 144Hz G-Sync panel they offer now... That would be amazing.

6. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my parents one of the 019DX Omens. Was a really nice laptop, but ended up having to return. (long story, not worth the time)
    Think it was $820 w/taxes, and I am wondering if I made the right decision. Worked pretty hard selling their old machine, so was pretty aggravated I had to take the Omen back after all that.
    One thing I did not like about it (with the 10mins I had with it), was the incredibly lackluster screen. Curious if was just the unit we had, or is typical.

7. 88elite88

88elite88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi there,

I own a HP Omen - 17t Laptop 7t-w100 CTO, however I am planning to upgrade the hard drive.
    I bought this lappy included with 512GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

now my question is, can this lappy take regular 2.5" SSD as its 2nd Hard drive?
    Does it have the proper slot and place for it?

also, the charger that came with this lappy is BIG and weight a ton... is there a possible HP or aftermarket charger replacement that's more convenient for traveling...

really appreciated...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  8. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes it should have a 2.5 slot but you may have to get the necessary accessories separately from HP if the laptop originally only came with a M.2 512gb SSD. Only way to find out is to phone HP directly or open it up yourself and see. Good luck sir :)

9. GreatD

Reputations:
    I'm battling with overheating while gaming on the i7 7700hq version and I have the pavilion looking HP. Not the latest one. Gaming performance is amazing, max temp on the GPU was 72 C° degrees and it's a 1070. Fantastic, just need to try lower the temp of the CPU as it always spikes to 98 Degrees C°

10. GreatD

Reputations:
    With a big power bank you should have the 1060 or 1070 version right