HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did repaste with MX-4 about 6 monts ago, but the results, while good, are not that great.

Probably a bad apply on my part, will have to find some time to do it again

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Crisis averted: Thought I'd update everyone with my experience with the Win10 2004 update. Omen 17t 2019 i9-9880h/2080
    It took the update fine and was operating normally today, but I noticed the CPU watts were way down on Afterburner. I ran Cinebench and sure enough if it was dropping down to 45W, contradicting my Throttlestop settings. I finally allowed it to update Omen Command Center, and ran Support Assistant and updated the Omen SDK. Reboot, and in performance mode it's still running at 90W with no dip. Ran throttlestop, it's still accepting my undervolt. There were some Intel and HP updates that ran, so something somewhere caused it to revert and Throttlestop to not work, but it seems fine now. I'll keep an eye on it.
    I'm tentatively saying the 2004 update seems okay and will update if that changes. Oh, it uninstalled CPU-Z for some reason. Weird.

3. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most likely the Omen Command Center SDK. After I installed it my FPS and thermals went up on my 2020 Omen 17t-cb100. Then I repasted and I'm sitting pretty. LOL

4. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone else having problems with the Intel AX200 Bluetooth? I hadn't really tried to use it, but it can see my phone and tablet fine when it's close, but it can't see audio devices unless they're literally sitting on the deck. I think the antenna is attached to the card okay because the WIFI works just fine. I updated the Intel drivers to this September but with no change. After pairing, my wireless speaker (which works fine with everything else from a separate room let alone across the room) breaks up if it's more than one foot away. How to deal with this? My MSI was the same way, so I was looking forward to bluetooth 5 perhaps actually working; what a disappointment.
    Oh yes, I've tried turning WIFI off. Is this a gaming computer thing? My friend's XPS15 works fine from across the room.

5. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just purchased the omen 15 with ryzen 4800H + 1660 ti. However it only came with 8GB of ram and I'm looking to upgrade to 32gb.
    Any suggestions on what RAM to buy? From what Iv'e read theirs no XMP support in bios so you have to get RAM that's JDEC standard? However that doesn't appear to be a standard heavily advertised by sellers.

Iv'e tried the following ram but my computer would not read it at all. Would just get a blank screen with either stick in.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B5THV2G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    A new BIOS (F.33 Rev.A) is available for my Omen-17cb.
    Description says "Provides support for new OMEN Command Center features".
    Anyone knows what these features are?

7. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm on F33, and updated OCC and the OCC SDK. Nothing I can see, perhaps they will be rolling something new out. Since the same app on the desktop has some overclocking features and the SDK incorporates XTU, it's possible they're going to expand the tweaks to beyond PL1/PL2 which is what the performance modes are.

I had posted about the 2004 update so I'll take the opportunity to share: If you get BSOD after, I had a few and had to do the chkdsk/dism/sfc process. But I think I tracked it down to Throttlestop: If you have an older version, delete it and install 9.2. Do NOT install or activate the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" feature in the FIVR window. That external driver it uses can cause the BSOD (Rwdrv.sys). It's pointless on this machine anyway as Performance mode is 90 watts, no time limit.
    This issue predated installing F33. F33 runs fine and undervolting still works on 9th gen, however Windows 2004 seems much more sensitive and I have stopped using my undervolt for the time being. My machine has been stable for several days now.
    I may eventually try reapplying a lesser undervolt and report back; I honestly don't know if it was the undervolt or the abovementioned external driver install from Throttlestop that was causing the BSOD.

8. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    ok tanks for the update Burrik. YOu have my Omen 17 model too?
    Could it be that this bios update was only for the activation of undervolt on the 10th gen intel CPU's? Or maybe the next omen command center software will have more/new OC options? Who knows.

9. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't know. I've got the 2019 model, i9-9880H. All the BIOS updates have kept undervolting intact. It's a complex and strange machine, no absolute right answers as to the interactions between BIOS, Windows, OCC, and Throttlestop. I would rather have the temperature spikes and the 90W unlocked by HP, which are manageable, than a ridiculous Dell-like PL1/PL2 lockdown that can't be broken.
    For one combination -.15V was very stable, then only Oculus would crash. Then -.125V was rock solid for a long time except for a weird occasional line in the webcam. But that's seemingly what caused update 2004 to crash. Since I repasted it and the thermals are good, I don't really need the undervolt. And it properly hits 4.8 GHz from time to time as it should. I thought Speed Shift was doing great things but now that I look at it it draws the same idle watts without it, just using the C7 state. For gaming I'll still need Throttlestop for a frequency cap though.
    Do you have the 10th? My understanding was they go up to 105W to hit those higher frequencies.

10. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    No I have 9th gen i7-9750H