HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They probably did a cost benefit analysis and determined that they didn’t want people messing with it. Change it to something the machine can’t handle and you could end up in an unbootable state. That would require time and expense of tech support and potential RMAs. People who even know what undervolting is are a subset of a subset of the overall market.

By the way, there seems to be something wrong with your space bar. Might want to look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The gimped bios is a real strange one, there is almost nothing there at all

On the stock paste the cpu would thermal throttle when power on, and benchmarking, after re-pasting it does not.

The cooling system is fantastic, however by also using throttlestop to clamp the power limits, the temps stay very low when gaming and therefore the fans stay lower which I personally like, and the cpu performance is very good. I did a test and lose about 20% in cinebench benchmark but for me the hardest I run the laptop is gaming and its fine there, so happy enough with this setup as the max fans are pretty loud

3. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Space bar's fine just some horrible grammar
    And that was always my conclusion on why they started watering down the bios aswell.I also read that there was some type of malware vulnerability with the open bios but im not clued in on the subject enough to really know or care

4. october3

Reputations:
    this popped up today, released on 21st Aug

upload_2020-9-4_10-38-35.png
    OMEN Command Center SDK Package contains the SDKs required for OMEN Command Center Overclocking and Network booster features. This package is provided for supported computer models that are running a supported operating system.

....The 'overclocking' got me interested but no new options in command centre

The installer flashed up ryzen....

build6 likes this.
  5. october3

Reputations:
    I have uninstalled command and reinstalled just to check, no change to options

Inside the package there is an intel XTU install folder
    Unless anyone can work with this, guess my cpu is locked out? ( i7-10750H )

It is strange that the driver was targeted to my device though, unless its universal?

upload_2020-9-4_11-7-41.png

build6 likes this.
  6. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    interesting...will be monitoring.

7. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Well definately worth doing a repaste if you've got a hotter laptop.
    I've got the 9880H 8core so it can DEFINATELY get hot. I threw TS's 1024M bench test at it with all 16th and normal priority, and hottest core hit 98 degrees with most in upper 80s to mid 90s. That sort of degree of difference in the first few cores (aka the most utilised) usually indicates uneven thermal compound or not great contact so I decided to repaste.

Just opened her up, cleaned off the 2080 and the 9880H of the not particularly well laid thermal 'cake', and then applied some good old MX4, as it doesn't degrade fast and isnt particularly prone to pump out, and booted back up (be aware the first boot after doing that, with CMOS cleared, takes a while, made me nervous!).

Re-ran TS's test, same settings, and hottest core now hitting 81 degrees!

MASSIVE difference, and given the shared heatpipe, should help the GPU run a bit cooler and boost a little further if power limits aren't an issue.

october3 likes this.
  8. october3

Reputations:
    I should note here that I went back to bios f.01

I noticed that with the update f.05 the temps were higher in flight simulator 2020, not sure what the difference was but rolling back did lower longer term temps, everything else kept the same

9. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Repasted my rig with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and ZERO thermal throttling now. Just blew Time Spy out the water 10739!

I 100% recommend a repaste to ANY high spec Omen.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/13853872

Stock paste:
    Screenshot_20200913-082105_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200913-082131_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    october3 likes this.
  10. october3

Reputations:
    I hope HP are viewing this thread, man -their stock paste process can be improved