HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay went with the GE66 :) Many thanks

october3 likes this.
  2. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm actually surprised by the performance I've been getting from my 2080SMQ,everything I've read about it made me think it was trash but since I overclocked it im hitting 10k graphics in time spy..I upgraded to this ge66 after being fed up with my 2020 omens limited bios options.And yes even compared to the 2020 omen models,this msi is like a tank to.

3. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    deleted double post

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  4. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm actually surprised by the performance I've been getting from my 2080SMQ,everything I've read about it made me think it was trash but since I overclocked it im hitting 10k graphics in time spy..I upgraded to this ge66 after being fed up with my 2020 omens limited bios options.And yes even compared to the 2020 omen models,this
    Nice!!!What model?I have the 2080SMQ model and this thing is handling everything I can throw at it.Make sure you unlock the bios to undervolt and overclock the graphics.

5. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe but MSI quality and customer service is absolutely trash this past year and a half. Join their FB group and just read all the crazy **** that happens.

6. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went for the Omen as I have had several years of travelling with HP laptops and not had any issues, but if I knew then what I know now about the intel 10th gen and I had the time to wait I would probably have gone for the ryzen option with the 1660 gpu as it reviews faster in real world and the gpu is close, that or the msi.

Over on the HP forum there is a slew of people with i7 cpu heat issues

I re-pasted mine and can run stock quite happily now. I do still use throttle stop to set the power levels down to 35 and 55watt (settled there as seems to be best for this laptop), which keeps temps down, and I prefer throttlestop does for when on battery than windows

When I took the heatsink off the gpu had been done great in factory but the cpu was terrible, see if I can post a pick. Just sharing for anyone out there despairing at cpu temps in the 90s, a quick repaste works wonders - I think they may have had a production run where either the compound for the cpu was 'off' or too runny. It looked a different colour and I think from other laptops that the thermal compound comes as a rectangle on the heatsink? the gpu looked that way, the cpu looked like a glob of runnier stuff

[​IMG]

I really love this laptop, I have to say.
    The screen is great and it is so fast for my work life. Fits in my old 14in rucksack and with charger only a little heavier than the older elitebook
    Having a blast with flight simulator and games too.

I put a 1tb drive in primary and use the stock 500gb for a seperate work windows environment.
    To be able to do that finally without farking about is so liberating

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    OneSickOmen17t likes this.
  7. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was it the newer model omen that you were having the heat issues with?I thought the new chasis design fixed that..Mine wouldn't get hot cause it would always power throttle once the cpu was under load.I couldn't do anything in throttlestop to stop it.That machine was locked down tight.Thats why I got rid of it but other then that I loved it..In the end though if im buying a gaming laptop I need to be able to undervolt it, idk why they would take that option away.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If the laptop has a decent cooling solution, undervolting is not necessary. After months of swapping among various laptops, I've gone back to Lenovo. The Legion 5, which is similarly locked out, is staying around 80 degrees under load in performance mode for me. It touched 82 for a second but I never saw it go higher than that while maintaining 4.2 GHz. If you desperately want undervolting, then you'll need something with an advanced BIOS that allows for it. The Legion 7 offers this, as do several other Asus and MSI laptops.

9. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 2020 Omen 17t-cb100 averagres around 80-90 depending on what im asking of it. There are spikes to higher during loading but it's literally a split second. Average clocks are like 4.3-4.6ghz across all cores. This is on stock paste though. Which will be changed soon.

10. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I get your point.I just like having that extra control over something I paid for.Its not just undervolting thats locked out,on my 2020 omen 15-ekxxxxx the whole advanced bios was inaccessible.For the money they charge for them theres no excuse to lock out all the advanced options.I hadda switch to a GE66 and I couldn't be happier.