HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone unlock Ultimate Performance Mode in Windows 10 power setting on their Omen 17t? I had to tweak some of settings but so far so good. I guess...lol

2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think most of us are using ThrottleStop on this thing. Windows's CPU management is just too opaque.
    I had never heard of it so I looked up what you're talking about--it just looks like another power plan. How it keeps cores from parking I don't know since that's not a Windows option. All I know is Throttle Stop makes it do most of what I want.

3. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. Sheldonxp

Sheldonxp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I am having trouble connecting a monitor to my Omen17. I usually connect 3 monitors - one through HDMI, one through displayport, and one through usb-c. However, today the usb-c one stopped working. I am using a HDMI to usb-c dock. Each individual component seems to be working fine (I can connect it to another computer with no problem), while the usb-c port also seems to work when I connect other things to it (keyboard, mouse). Is there anyway that only the usb-c connection to the graphics card broke? My other monitors still work fine.

5. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I like the Windows Ultimate Performance mode EXCEPT it kills your laptop battery while the unit is off and unplugged. In about 16 hours it killed about 16%. I thought at first it was the computer/HP doing battery discharging but its not. I went back to the HP Recommended plan and the battery drain is gone. I wish there was a way to stop this on the Ultimate Performance mode but it doesn't appear to be. Also the battery icon options change from the standard slider (Best Perf to Best time) and becomes just a standard battery percentage. No options. Constant charging from 80-100 everyday will harm the battery.

Update: I guess it wasn't the power plan as it is still doing it with the factory HP plan. I guess it is what it is.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  6. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

can someone please tell my what RTX 2080 Super Max-Q version is in the "Omen 15-dh1085ng 15,6"? I wonder if it is the 80W or the 90W version?

It is the 2020 Model, but with the old chassis. Maybe someone has some 3dMark benchmarks?

https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/ga...+gaming+special/omen+by+hp+15+dh1085ng+660066

It is very important for me because tomorrow I have to decide if I take the MSI GE66 with RTX 2070 Max-P or the Omen 15 with RTX 2080 Super Max-Q

7. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why would you go with the older chassis? its out of date straight away

Go with the MSI

8. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd still go with that GE66 regardless.That old omen chasis has really bad thermals..Even with the max q card I don't see that thing lasting half as long as the ge66

9. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tend to agree. The Omen 17 is good enough for my purposes but nothing like my old MSI, which was a tank. Also a 2070 Max P will probably outscore a 2080 MaxQ. No way to really know without the wattage which is model-specific, but the GE's cooling will be oversized for that since it can handle a 150W 2080 (and modded beyond that). The HP also has no dedicated CPU heat pipes, so you'll likely still have high CPU temps even with the Max Q.

10. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay went with the GE66 :)