HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi pete962, I will try to answer to all of your questions :D

Well as I stated I can definetly undervolt my Intel i7-9750H with the latest F.32 bios. Here is the proof.
    [​IMG]

Of course I can undervolt until crash /freeze my notebook (TS 8.70 should automatically reverts to previous voltages in those situations, unsless you apply the voltages permanently yourself in the program).
    With my 9th gen Intel CPU (ah.....silicon lottery) the processor crashes if I set it under -0.145V CPU CORE and under -0.110V CPU CACHE
    That is using TS 8.70.

I belive your CPU is 1 generation OLDER than mine (8th gen), so it SHOULD be software undervolt enabled. That is unless your notebook has a bios update that specifically blocks the plundervolt exploit and thus the possibility to use software undervolting altogether.

You can test your ability to software undervolt the CPU easily: Set undervolt -0.100V on CPU CORE, apply, and run HWMonitor. IF it doesn't show -0.100V on IA Offset, you are unable to undervolt probably (thus meaning your notebook's bios is probabluy updated with plundervolt). Newer Intel CPU's (10th gen) have plundervolt blocked by default so those CPU's also can't be software-undervolted (you could do it in the bios, if that option existed, but unfortunately manufacturers usually don't give us that option).

I belive I saw a HP plundervolt update on my notebook's driver page (under security updates for my OMEN 17-cb) but I never bothered to chek it thoroughly since I don't want to use it anyway. Fortunately for me, HP didn't force plundervolt on my model in any of the previous BIOS updates in 2019-2020. And I hope it stays that way ;)

Last thing, I must admit I don't know what all the fuss is about people talking of 'windows update blocking undervolting by changing some files'. I have W10 fully updated and I can undervolt just fine my CPU. Nor should windows update block any CPU features. But I could be wrong since I am no expert; maybe someone with better knowledge share more light on the matter?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your last part I can answer: modern cpu use microcode that can be updated either by BIOS, window program or third party program (I used to have program like that to update microcode under win7). Since microcode is just a set of low level instructions for cpu, you can disable undervolting by reprograming microcode.

C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll -> for Intel CPUs
    This updates your microcode on window boot up , no BIOS update required.
    You see my i-7 8750 Omen will not crash no matter how low I set core voltage, it does undervolt , but only down to 545mV idle from about 650mV idle. Exactly same with my new Sager using newest i-7 10875h cpu. Normal idle is about 660mv, I can undervolt core voltage down to about 560mV and after that it will not lower core voltage anymore. Both computers have latest BIOS, latest Win10 updates and I can undervolt both but only limited amount mV. I think this is plundervolt fix for some computers, I don't expect anymore fixes regarding plundervolt and I'm happy with that. I wish there was some way to test for plundervolt vulnerability, to put all this to rest, but Intel was made aware of plundervolt in spring of 2019, more than a year ago and if they didn't disable undervolting on my laptops I don't think they ever will unless they find something new.

3. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Well I'm a bit skeptical about that microcode updates myself. From what I have read, plundervolt works on a deeper level than software and microcode. It's a hardware flow of the Intel CPU's wich can be exploited by software. You have to block some hardware functions embedded in the CPU in order to stop the exploit.

As you've stated yourself, you have the latest BIOS update (is it from late 2019 or 2020 by chance?) so I am more incline to belive your notebook model was patched for plundervolt over BIOS, not over some microcode update in windows.

Also, your explanation about microcode (updated mcupdate_GenuineIntell.dll) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would Microsoft/Intel update microcode only for some CPU's (like yours) while keeping others that have the vulnerability (my CPU) open to a possible attack? It doesn't make sense, you have to agree on that. By all accounts, a microcode update should resolve ALL plundervolt affected CPUS'.

I don't know honestly. But from my (limited) experience, microcode update has nothing to do with plundervolt or undervolting (in)ability on our Intel CPU's. Only a BIOS update can resolve the plundervolt problem permanently probably..

As for my model still being able to undervolt even with the july 2020 BIOS update, my guess is that my model (OMEN 17-cb) being a gaming rig, HP want's us to preserve the ability to undervolt.
    A system that performs well will have good reviews and sell many units. SO they are not updating the plundervolt problem yet over bios. But they may in the future so I will have to keep my eyes open.

4. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 2020 Omen 17t can't undervolt. You can see it but nothing changes. You can play with the 2080 Super power limits I believe but CPU is fully locked.

i9-10885H and 2080 Super 150w(Seen up to 185w so far under heavy load)

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Do the new Omen models, including the redesigned ones, have any sort of software or BIOS setting that allows you to set a battery charge limit like you can on Asus, Lenovo, or MSI laptops?

6. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    That's because you have an intel i9-10885H (10th gen) unfortunately. It's locked out of software undervolting form the get go because of the plundervolt problem.

7. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Yes, there is a setting in the BIOS of my OMEN 17-cb that set's the battery charging only if the battery goes under something like 93-95%. But there are no specific options to set it to something lower like 50% charge unfortunately. Some manufacturers (Asus) have a software that does this in Windows if the battery supports it.

8. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Really, where did you see that? I haven't seen any BIOS options of any interest on this machine. Some one was asking on Reddit why his wouldn't charge above the low 90s and I didn't have an answer for him. Same machine, I'm running F.30

9. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    F10 to bios setup.
    Under 'configuration' you will see an option called 'adaptive battery optimizer'. If ON, it doesn't charge the battery all the time to 100%, thus preserving battery life. If off, it will charge battery always to 100%

saturnotaku likes this.
  10. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting, thanks. 8 months in and mine has yet to ever run on the battery lol. I should keep an eye on it though, that hotspot above the trackpad concerns me. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it swells on this thing.