HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dang, I barely updated to Bios F.30, and my Omen 17-cb0009nl already has another bios update F.32 (notes: Provides improved system stability).
    As usual, Hp doesn't specidie if it has or not the plundervolt update inside (F.30 doesn't for my model).
    Anyone tried it yet?

2. OneSickDV7T

OneSickDV7T Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had this happen if my screen saver turned on or screen turned off while Chrome was on the screen. I google'd the answer and it doesn't do it anymore. Sorry I forgot exactly how. I was little inebriated at the time...lol

3. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any chance you can send me the vbios on the gpu ? I was gonna try to flash the Lenovo 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. october3

october3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Its been a long time since I was active on this forum, probably 14years ago when I was carting around a dell 17in and playing bioshock. Long since changed email etc lost password

Anyway, after some time with smaller hp business laptops, bought a new OMEN Laptop - 15-ek0003na
    I put a second NNMe 1TB drive in it, this thing flies. Christalmighty what a difference to an elitebook with an SSD. For productivity work this is instant.

I did have a Razor 1660 for a minute, but couldn't get on with the keyboard and it was louder, liked the chassis though.

My recent gaming has been restricted to low demand games like cold waters so looking forward to being able to do more. It has the 2060gtx and I saw 103watts power draw max on hwinfo it that means anything.

I need to learn how to manage the laptop as it went off on a mad max fan burst on auto when just playing cold waters which is more of a cpu game, which is why I came surfing over here

I know the design is a little less robust than the z book line but I am surprised at how close in weight it and charger is to my old 14in G1 840, and as I travel a lot, I love that

very happy....

5. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    Just updated My Omen 17-cb0009nl to the latest bios (F.32).
    No plundervolt patch so we can still undervolt our CPU's.
    Tested with TS 8.70 & CPUID HWMonitor 1.41

6. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

Reputations:
    That's a Nvidia driver problem most definetly. It happens to me too with recent drivers. USually when the LCD panel goes into sleep mode.

7. october3

october3 Newbie

Reputations:
    deleting this post until I do more testing....

playing with throttlestop for cpu and afterburner for gpu....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 2:09 AM
  8. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have 2018 Omen 15 with 8750h and I'm very confused about plundervolt, maybe you can help clear my confusion? Originally when I setup my Omen back when new, if I offset core voltage too low using throttlestop my laptop would crash. Now, no matter how low core voltage is set to, even something silly as -600mV, my laptop won't crash and core voltage can't be set lower than 550mV.All other voltage settings work as expected, set them too low, laptop will crash, except core voltage. My new Sager I got just couple weeks ago shows exactly same behavior. Is your computer working the same as mine?
    Can you crash it by setting (only) core voltage too low? The reason I'm asking is because 1) I don't believe Intel and HP would leave all those computers vulnerable to plundervolt all this time.
    2). I hazard to speculate all those computers are already fixed against plundervolt, by setting hard limit on how low can you set core voltage and therefore won't be any more plundervolt fixes for them.
    Maybe the laptops that have undervolting disabled altogether have no capability to set lower voltage limit for core, so it's all or nothing type of thing, or they need to be more secure? The way my Omen works now, I don't believe you can use plundervolt to break in.

9. october3

october3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I followed this guys video and was able to get both CPU and GPU temps down. Decent workaround until someone can offer a hacked undervolt solution for HP omen laptops

10. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What firestrike scores are people getting with the 2080 super

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk