HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You may be able to use NoteBook FanControl to override the EC and create your own custom fan curve. A profile exists for older Omen's which may work with the newer one. If it didn't, then you would need to use a tool like R/W Everything to build a profile with some experimenting. Be aware that entering bad values in the EC registers can sometimes cause a lockup to occur so you would want to know what the procedure to reset the EC is before hand.

prosetheus likes this.
  2. Graedon

Graedon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello fellas,

New guy here. In about a week or so I will receive the new HP Omen X laptop with the current specs:

- i7 7820HK
    - GTX 1080
    - 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    - 16GB RAM
    - 120Hz Full HD GSYNC IPS

If you have any questions regarding this unit, please feel free to ask.

Now a question on my part. Regardless of the temperatures the CPU and GPU will obtain, I will most likely repaste the CPU and GPU with Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut). Are (almost) all laptops repasteable(?) with Liquid Metal or do I have to watch out for some kind of material that gives a reaction with Liquid Metal?

Thanks!

3. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know about the repasting I am looking to do the same to mine .
    congrats on the omen x your ordered a monster :) I would love to have a small review of it when you get to plays with it a bit and some benchmarks .

4. Graedon

Graedon Newbie

Reputations:
    tweake628 likes this.
  5. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thanks for the response. All I can achieve with throttlestop is the disabling of turbo boost , thus limiting freq to 2.8ghz on the i7 7700hq.

But a much bigger problem has arisen.

The laptop will not charge. While plugged in, it would say, plugged in, not charging. Till i would unplug it, it would drain to 7%, plug it back in , and then it would charge to 100% and after that again stop charging. Some time ago, it has completely stopped charging.

I know the charging brick is OK because I have a HP 8470p and I tried its charger and the same thing happens. The charge indicator in windows comes on for a few seconds, and then again it disappears leaving the battery to drain in freefall.

Can't figure out where the problem is.

6. tweake628

Reputations:
    awesome setup !!! I would love to see some benchmark .normal ones and maybe some games like doom bf1 tittanfail 2 and others and some pics of your new beast there con grats ......thinking that's going to be my next up grade

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Its possible a component in the charging circuitry has failed. I would suggest contacting HP support and describing the problem to them. They may try shipping a new AC Adapter to you first, or need you to send the system in for the motherboard to be replaced. You could try re-seating the power in connector (page 59 in the service manual) but if its an issue with the motherboard it will have to be sent in. If you did install a M.2 drive in your system I would remove it before shipping it so the drive doesn't end up disappearing because it wasn't in the original system build.

prosetheus likes this.
  8. tweake628

Reputations:
    I am not sure what the name of the video was on youtube but it was a guy who had the same prob as you .think HP told him it was do to the power brick being to small and they shipped him a new one .sorry I am not more help :(

prosetheus likes this.
  9. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Well, I'll jump in here, got an Omen 17, specs as in sig :)

win32asmguy likes this.
  10. tweake628

Reputations:
    nice system congrats :) I have 12 gig ram now plan to gpt tp 16 soon and a ssd

Vasudev likes this.