HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got me a CB0050NR yesterday and after doing all the tweaking i could i got 4.2-4.3ghz all core 2055ghz on 2080 with 190w bios mod 450mhz on memory and a liquid metal repaste. Temps idle are 33-40 on full load 65-75 depending on the game im playing. Undervolted CPU .125mv and havent undervolted gpu yet. i have the 9750h and used throttle stop to set turbo time to max, set maximum performance in power plan options to the cpu at 99% and set turbo power limits and locked it to 78watts. I dont thermal throttle or power throttle.i have windows 10 1909 fully debloated via script. 32gb ram corsair. 2080 power was set to adaptive. I never saw my 9750h hit the single core 4.5ghz before i tweaked it always was 4.3 max i ran several test like realbench memtest cinebench superposition intel burn prime95. When installing omen command center be aware that gamestream eats CPU at the beginning of startup. i have to manually end the process to stop it from eating 5 cores at 100% usage. Even though i disabled streaming via omen. If anybody has more suggestions lemme know. id like to achieve 4.5ghz all core turbo on this if anybody knows how lemme know. i am considering the 180w vbios mod to see if the extra 10watts towards the cpu would have a different in turbo. CPU stay at 4ghz all the time while i game it boost 200-300mhz

Leaving the voltage at normal and leaving the power plan on 100% made the cpu throttle down to 3.5ghz for some reason dont know why i couldnt figure it out.

i wanted the 9880h with the full 2080 and 240hz screen but unfortunately hp told me i had to wait 1 month before getting it.

i wish there was a way to set memory timing as i have cl14 corsair 3000mhz ram (its cl16 but can be set at cl14 and works did this on a clevo)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought I'd throw this out there: Finally disabled memory integrity today so I could try Throttlestop instead of XTU. The issue I was having is, even with a 35W power cap (the lowest it will accept) in XTU and -.1V, my CPU was hitting 99 while playing Crysis 2 at 4K/ultra. It turns out the Throttle stop multiplier cap gives much better results, with all cores set to 40 and Speed Step turned on, with the same -0.1V undervolt, temps in the 80s. Underclocking the 2080 didn't do much to help so I gave up on that. So I've got 3 profiles set up in TS now, Performance (-.1V, Speed Step, 65W/65W and it will stress at 90C), Gaming (-.1V, Speed Step, 40X all cores, 65W), and the Oculus one I haven't done yet. It hasn't like undervolts below 0.4 but I will play with it and report back.
    So the moral so far is even power cap allows individual cores to turbo up to an insane temperature on the i9. The version of XTU I'm using didn't allow multiplier modifications but Throttlestop has taken care of that. I rather like that it's not a autoboot service, either. As to having memory integrity turned off, I could never get it working on my Haswell machine so no biggie. If anyone knows a workaround, please share, also please any thermal modifications. I took the plastic sheet covering the grill out, it's replaceable if necessary.

3. willhub

willhub Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You can't get higher than all core 4GHz with a 9750H, it's locked within the CPU, you need a HK CPU to overclock. Any settings to reflect all core higher than 4GHz will be ignored.

If it boosts higher in game it's because it's utilizing less cores, you'd also not likely see a correct reflection of this looking at say MSI Afterburner stats in game with all CPU stats laid out.

JCordero31 likes this.
  4. JCordero31

Reputations:
    Does anybody know the hp part number for the motherboard with the full 2080 and 9880h for the omen 17t i wanna get it

5. JCordero31

Reputations:

i play three kingdoms msi afterburner shows 20-50% use of all core and i get 4087 stable all cores 90% of the time other 10 is 4187-4387 but if you say it doesnt show it correct id believe it.

6. willhub

willhub Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah it's physically impossible to run the 9750H at more than all core turbo 4GHz. Anything higher will most certainly not be using all cores.

7. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Service Manual p 17, L59778-xx1 but who knows what the x mean.

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Are there any VR gamers with these machines? I currently have the oculus rift and maybe selling it to get the rift s. ((Less cables)) So it would be nice to have a laptop that runs very smoothly with very when I make trips to the friends house.

And no I’m not asking if their powerful enough. I’m asking if they run smoothly. My last laptop had odd crashing issues when playing vr even though it met the recommended specs.

9. blackfire12

blackfire12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I do some VR gaming and this thing can definitely power anything VR related. The only problems you'll run into is ports for the stuff mini DP and a USB port. With the Rift/Rift S you're more or less forced to use mini DP.

I tried to get a dock set up that would let me run everything through the USB-C port and it kinda worked but not for VR. If you're getting the Omen 17 and want to do the 190w vbios mod you will lose the mini DP port. Probably the same deal with a Omen 15, not sure if the vbios mod works for the 15 so don't quote me on that working.

Terreos likes this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Display port only eh? Hmm. . .I wonder if that was the problem I was having with the last laptop? Since my Oculus uses HDMI I never thought to try an adapter for it. But that would be less of an issue if I side grade to the Rift S.

That would be nice if the Thunderbolt port worked. But, to my understanding most laptops have that port connected to the iGPU so I understand why it wouldn't work.

I haven't seen anyone with a 100w or 115w 2080 max-q bios flash on the Omen 15. I'd be curious to find out. It might not have the cooling capacity for that. Plus the small 200w power brick. But, it would be fun to find out actually.

Thanks for the reply though. Finding information on vr gaming on laptops is surprising hard to find. ;)