HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    congrats on the new laptop !!! I have the same model as you and I love mine and the RX580 8gb is a far better GPU then the benchmarks led me to think it was ,I have tried a lot of games on it and so far not one have I had to turn the settings down for 1080 game play :)

2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi there!
    One of the laptops I am thinking to purchase is this:
    2PJ77EA - HP Omen X 17-ap001nn, 17.3" FHD AG IPS 120Hz Intel Core i7 7820HK QC,

16GB, 1TB + 256GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB G-SYNC, Shadow black - aluminium,

WIN10, 1Y+2YCP

It is available for order, however I have found no reviews of this unit. Does anyone have it?

7820HK CPU is nice, but is the cooling good enough, can it hold 4.3 Ghz OC clocks without throttling and burning the laptop?
    I have heard that HP overclocked the GTX 1080, is this true and can it hold those clocks without power or thermal throttling?
    Is the CPU clock stable like with MSI laptops or it is jumping around (for example in Fire Strike benchmark) ?

IKAS V likes this.
  3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    @DRevan I took a look at the Omen X's service manual, and from the photos the cooling system looks pretty good. It's got 4 screws each for the CPU / GPU, but it's still a unified heatsink. My guess is it would be on par with what you can get out of an Alienware 17, provided the bios doesn't have any issues that get in the way of overclocking. I would also suspect the MSI GT75VR / GT73VR would do even better because MSI tends to build a really nice power delivery system in their laptop motherboards.

4. Arrowblade

Arrowblade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got myself an HP Omen 17 in China during the november 11th "singles day" sales for around the equivalent of USD1660, with i7 7700HQ, GTX1070 and a Toshiba XG5 256gbSSD. Loving the new design and enjoying the laptop a lot, but couple of bad points first, the screen had some pretty bad bleed bottom left and right and top left. Kind of annoyed me at first but then i got over it since i dont display much black screen on my day to day usage. The SSD had blistering 2800MB/S sequential read but a pretty low 370MB/S seq.write although i read it should be about 1000MB/S for write...no idea why but it doesnt affect my enjoyment much. Overall, very good so far, it's marginally bigger than my alienware M17x r4 which died recently and doesnt have the RGB keyboard lighting, but i still think it's pretty damn awesome. 5/7 would buy again!

5. 88elite88

88elite88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I own HP Omen 17t-w100 CTO for almost a year now, and wondering if I could possibly upgrade my memory from 16GB to somewhere higher perhaps?

Anyone know what's the max memory I can put into this 17t lappy?

6. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the max memory you can upgrade to is 32gb .

7. 88elite88

88elite88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And that woud be a 16gb a peace X 2 is it?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

8. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes 2 16gb sticks

9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Same, and add how is the fan noise.
    I did find this:

Not too many details but it’s something.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM