HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I never ever use power-on password, exactly for reason you describe: keyboard could be in caps lock, it could break and some keys may not register properly etc, and you're left up the creek without the paddle. BTW did they explain why they need new MB? Not sure how the newest security works, but couldn't they reprogram/reflash BIOS from outside? There has to be a way to break in, maybe just not allowed to use it. I flashed factory broken BIOS that made my computer unbootable before (not HP), so this is not as uncommon as one may think. I think you should start making big deal about it and start pushing for some timely resolution ASAP. it's the squeaking wheel that gets the grease.

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can’t reflash, turns out that HP used 2 bios chips to verify the bios before boot along with a gpu vbios chip. Scummy of HP I know but once that password is on it AINT coming off. I guess you get your money’s worth if the feature worked properly :)

You do realise that they have used the same technology as the newer elite books, zbooks and pro books. Even bios flashers have a hard time taking those admin passwords off. It’s a nightmare, requires soldering unless you know where the password is stored in the bios, which I do and can successfully flash and remove ;)

3. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You mean using something like this
    Well, at least in OP case, the cure seems to be much worse than a disease and to be honest it's like that most of the time. I mean seriously, if somebody is at your computer trying to break in, it's a good chance you got a bigger problem than files on your pc. How about simple solution: like encrypting important files and have some secret program running in the background, that could send info to authorized person about location of the pc, at least you would have some chance of recovering the pc, if it was lost or stolen.

4. deniale

deniale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today, 30th day of RMA i got the money back ... and i had downloaded the whole series of Knight Rider on it without backup ...

If some keys would break, you can still connect an USB external keyboard.

Try this:
    Set BIOS password to e.g. pass123
    While typing the password first time use the number keys in the upper row.
    While typing the second time for verification use the number keys on numpad.
    My (former) Omen said that passwords do not match.

5. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For anyone interested;

Received 3 of these so far. Omen 17 9750h w/2080 and 512gb ssd.

All 3 have different panels (and 2 different ram brands Hynix vs Samsung).

Panels are
    BOE0823
    AUO449D
    CMN175D

All 3 devices and their panels have G-Sync.

The CMN175D to the naked eye appears to be the brightest panel though might need color calibration (appears to run a bit warm/yellow).

All 3 Omen 17s had varying degree's of backlight bleed.

6. C.J. O

C.J. O Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I just got this Omen 5113dx and tried installing Windows on a Samsung PM981 SSD. It's a 256GB M.2 NGFF PCIe NVME SSD. Nothing I can do will get the computer to find it. So my question is, which type of SSD's will work? Thanks!

7. Michaelscott658

Michaelscott658 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, quick question. I’m interested in buying the omen 17 with the RTX 2080. There’s a sale going on here in Australia, the 9750h version is about AUD 2800 with 32gb ram while the 9880h is about AUD 3500 with similar ram. My question is there a significant difference between the 9880h and 9750h ? And also considering the price difference. I am mostly training ML algorithms and playing games. I’d love to hear your opinions.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Grabbed this deal yesterday on the HP website for $1520 after cash back:

Omen Laptop - 17t
    No DVD or CD Drive
    512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
    Full-size island-style dragon red legend 1-zone lighting red backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and 26-Key Rollover
    Security Software Trial
    16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo (Gigabit file transfer speeds)
    OMEN by HP 17 Laptop PC
    Office Software Trial
    Windows 10 Home 64 ADV
    HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone fTDB
    4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion polymer
    17.3" diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    Intel® Core™ i9 9880H (2.3 GHz, up to 4.8 GHz, 16 MB cache, 8 cores)+NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 with G-SYNC® (8 GB)

Looking forward to seeing what this laptop can do!!

9. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Amazing deal. Nothing like it in the UK. Mine was around £2100 with 3 year warranty (albeit 32gb ram) which is still a hefty discount and nothing else here to touch it.

Only thing I wish it had was either 2933 or 3200 ram, or lower latency ram as standard. The RAM is the minor weak spot on these to my mind. Some Kingston ImpactX with 2666 CL15 would have been wonderful.